Author Topic: Bank holiday weekend  (Read 5057 times)

Marianne

• Hectare
Re: Bank holiday weekend
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2005, 21:23:15 »
Well I am pleased to say that in my little part of Hertfordshire, we have had a gloriously warm day ! 

I hope everyone else had a beautiful day, good OR bad weather !

:D :D
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2005, 21:51:41 »
Here in Central London it looked as if things were going to go pear-shaped - dull, overcast, ominous! Still, I thought, needs must, and I'd so much planned to do in the garden, so I wrapped up like Nanouk of the North and stepped outside and - wallop! The warmest muggiest day of the year so far. Then to top it all at about  2 o'clock the sun finally split the skies! Needless to say, tools were downed, layers removed and b*gger all was done!
It's still muggy right now - I'm sitting here with the garden door wide open to try and get some air circulating... do I smell thunder... ? ::) :D
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

dragonfly

• Not So New ...
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2005, 22:23:43 »
Same here in Suffolk, Amazin.  Started off dull and overcast and then middle of the afternoon.......Yahoo!,  8)  Glorious Sunshine and very warm, even tonight at 10.20 it is muggy.

They are saying it should be much of the same, if not more tomorrow.... I must admit i like it warm, but when it gets too hot i melt, too hot doesn't agree with me  :(......... Hubby on the other hand, the hotter the better!  ::)

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2005, 00:35:28 »
Hmmmm i wonder if i should nip out now for that May dew, ::)  ;D At least itss cheaper than all that stuff off QVC  :D :D

Well i had a good day, it rained forever, then suddenly bright skies and warmth  :o  :P~ so i nipped out and made up some hanging baskets, i just love that job  ;D
So satisfied artistically speaking.  ;)

Although we didnt get round to orgainising a barbie, we certainly manged to dine al fresco for the first time this year.

Today ive been in heaven  ;D

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2005, 07:06:52 »
sorry i never made it to your place h but guess what i had SUNSHINE all day 8) 8).
so i washed for scotland & potted on some plants. :)
as for the bottle~**hic** :P..... sorry h ;D ;D,well the rain did come on about 7pm & i had to come indoors :)
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2005, 07:19:19 »
We had a great light show last night as we had some thunderstorms! It was great. Blue flashes alover the sky! Gods fireworks who needs november the 5th (and a few beers to boot :D)
Be kind to slugs and snails!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2005, 09:35:59 »
Weather in N Derbys is horrid.  Cold and wet.  Went to the plot just to take some Bocking 14's up there but too wet to do anything.  My OH made a mess of fitting a door latch so now we have a huge flippin hole in the door  :o   He always makes a mess of DIY when I'm not there to watch him.  He once put two louvre doors on a cupboard and put one on upside down.  He couldn't spot his mistake  ;D ;D ;D    Went to brass band concert last night which was fab, after that into pub next door to listen to brill live band (doing Floyd very well) then on to the local beer festival.  Came out and had pizza.  Staggered home rather merrily.  Today we have the beer festival again, a fun run and a cavalcade of horses through the ages through the town's streets.  Should be fun if the rain clears up  :) 

Talking of louvre doors - the slats make really good plant markers on the allotment.  My pal just emulsions over them each year so he can mark them up again  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2005, 10:46:07 »
its raining now and it wasn't supposed to. suppose i can always do some work and hope for better tomorrow...

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2005, 11:13:29 »
Glad you had a good time GW, its a long way to come for a bottle of wine, so you did the right thing, indulging in your own bottle and stopping at home  ;D

What part of Scotland do you live? My sis is in the Aberdeen area.

Well we are off to a garden centre today that i havent been to before, other half is just looking on the net for directions so i hope we get there  ::)

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2005, 15:33:25 »
We stayed at a hotel last night, (8 roomed place, that if you take over the whole hotel, they only charge you £30 per head for dinner,bed n breakfast!) fun and far too much alcohol consumption was had all round! But the best bit was it was attatched to a small plant nursery, so hubby is probably now thinking it wasn't as cheap as he originally thought! ::) ;D Glorious day here yesterday, muggy and warm here today, out in the garden trying to sort it out after the winter!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2005, 18:01:27 »
Sounds like you had a good time Doris :)

Well we found our way to the garden centre and am so glad we did.
It was lovely, it had two little mini steam trains that you can ride around on(if you so wish)  ;D
Choo .... choo !!!!! ;D
They are delightful  ;D

Bought loads and loads of stuff, bedding plants, pond plants, bits and pieces and a lovely new terracotta pot to put some sweet peas in.

I didnt select a tree as they were all huge and to big to get into the car really, so i will have to look elsewhere for that.

Oh and we saw Andy McDonald, Steves brother from Coronation Street, he was there with his wife and little children having a good old browse  :)

So i came home and did my stuff with my purchases and made up another two hanging baskets, that four in total so far, but i doubt i will stop there, watch this space  ;D

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2005, 18:54:28 »
Hi Honeybee,

My local garden centre (Van Hage) also has two steam engines that go around the site.  But I tend not to go there as everything is so very expensive!

Instead today, we went to our local car booty and although the weather at first was not too tempting, it soon turned very warm.

:D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2005, 00:10:27 »
Awoken at 4am by huge claps of thunder.  Glorious!  Adore a good storm.  This morning, 4 or 5 short sharp downpours of big warm drops, then out came the sunshine and the day was splendid.  I am feeling a little light headed infact from the sun, or could it be the red wine I consumed at lunch time?  Now, early hours of Monday morning, very humid indeedy.  All the windows open but not a breath of air!  Getting tired so off to bed me thinks.... :-\

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2005, 06:40:48 »
i'm in lanarkshire h~plenty of garden centres along the clyde valley!!!
did you manage to snap a shot of AMcD?.garden centre paparazzi, find out what the "stars" plant  in their gardens. :)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2005, 09:45:35 by GREENWIZARD »

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2005, 09:02:06 »
No, no pics GW

I didnt have my camera with me, although my phone was in my bag, but i would have felt daft asking anyway ....lol

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2005, 19:08:27 »
I can never understand folks who just HAVE  to go out and about on a bank holiday. They end up spending most of the time in traffic jams because so many other people are doing the same.

No bank holidays are for staying at home ans (weather permitting) doing stuff in the garden. Unsualy prefer to garden, but this weekend has been 'DIY in the garden' I have spent most of the weekend constructing a custom made bamboo fence around my garden's utility area. At one point I thought I'd never finish, but i did just an hour ago, and i have to say i am right pleased with it!  ;D

Consequently not much gardening proper - i am starting to get withdrawals!  :( . Still I did find time this morning whilst it was trying to rain to get the greenhouse ready for the tomatoes, which are raring to get growing!  ;D

PS, been really warm down here in Dorset this afternoon - First time in shirtsleeves for me this year!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2005, 19:11:41 by Garden Cadet »

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2005, 19:54:54 »
That is true about people in their cars, Richard. 

Do you have any photos of your new fence??  Would love to see the work you have done! :D

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2005, 20:21:14 »
looking forward to seeing your new fence GC ;D

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2005, 23:15:29 »
Wow, a bank holiday weekend with good weather  :o 8)
I spent a few hours at the allotment on saturday. Then I sowed, pricked out and potted up yesterday. Today I watered a bit more, phoned my gran in Australia, and visited a nice local garden centre  :) Oh and I made self saucing choccy pudding tonight - all in all a very successful long weekend  ;D
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2005, 12:01:32 »
We have had every sort of weather within the last  few days.  It changed from hour to hour.  Very muggy atmosphere with the fog horn going a lot of the time.  Then the sun would peep through and we would get brilliant sunshine.  Then it would drizzle a bit.  Did get some work done at the lottie and garden but had to keep avoiding the showers.  The best day was Sunday which started off wet and dull and cleared after lunch to hot sunny weather.  Showery yesterday which got heavier as the day got on.  Today we have had thunder, lightening and hailstones and at present it is raining heavily though at least the temperature is not cold.   :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal