Author Topic: Bank holiday weekend  (Read 5070 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Re: Bank holiday weekend
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2005, 13:24:27 »
I had an extra long weekend as I had Friday off too. Spent about nine hours in the garden - sieving soil for the third raised bed, pruning various thing, weeding and staring at the pond mostly. It was a gorgeous day and I even got a bit burnt (mediterean blood so I don't usually burn!)

Saturday morning saw a mamoth trip round the garden centres with MIL. The waterbutt was too big for her car, so we didn't get that (going to order one instead), the 8ft bamboo was also too long, but I did get five big cobbles/rocks (at what size does a cobble become a rock?) to go round the pond, loads of compost and a few plants (two pasque flowers, one aquilegia and a cowslip).

Sunday morning more sieving and pond staring. Then riding in the afternoon. So hot - thermometer went up to 27C!

And Monday - spent the whole day in the garden again. Mr Aqui was still sieving (the pile is still huge, but there's a lot more in the bed now. Can't wait til it's finished!) and I was potting things up and sowing more french beans, sweetcorn and periennials.

Weather wise, we had everything apart from frost and snow. It rained. Then it was sunny. Then it rained whilst sunny! It was glorious and the light rain showers were a blessed relief from the heat!
gone to pot :D

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2005, 17:22:57 »
Will see what I can do Re: photos of the fence. Thats as long as you dont mind photos of whats lurking behind it!  ;)

Aqui: You were SEIVING soil for a raised bed? Depends on how big the bed is and the soil you have i suppose, but i have long since given up trying to remove stones from my soil - even in the veg beds. I have found that if you dont dig too much the stones settle to the bottom, out the way and (I think) improve the drainage. Any that do cone to the surface are easily raked off.

You sound a bit of a glutton for punishment there!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2005, 19:48:55 »
Spent all the weekend working, selling plants at 2 different plant sales. Now I have to go all out to build the mock up for Gardeners World Live, Pot up/prick out at the nursery, Keep my own garden looking good and put a torch on my head to do the allotment.  All this and more. I knew I should have stayed retired.

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2005, 21:29:08 »
spend all weekend in the garden from friday morning started painting 2 6 by 6 fence pannels , to the afternoon laying a concrete base for my new summer house, sat morning put the paving down at front of summer house but mr dibber hurt his back in BQ getting sand and cerment trolly was broke and he yanked his back , me and the kids had to lay the paving under his eagle eye.then went up the summer with no problems, was so hot on sat .

sun morning the felt got put on the roof and 2 coats of stain was applyed  to the  inside and out weather was a bit cooler thank goodness.

monday mr dibber went fishing and me and the kids where left to make 2  raised borders outside the summer house and we done a pretty good job i think so when i get my mums camera back i will post a pic of my bank hoilday project i no  one thing i am knackered

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2005, 22:44:04 »
Spent too much time at beer feshtival .... hic  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2005, 09:43:02 »
Spent too much time at beer feshtival .... hicĀ  :)

You slacker - when many of us were hard at work!

LOL  ;D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2005, 23:16:29 »
I am a terrible slacker - I'm the first to admit it  ;D  I like beer fests nearly as much as allotments.  I don't drink beer though  - I just go along to be sociable.  The beer never got past my lips.  I got some lager before I went into the Neglected Shed and he wouldn't let me in.  No lager rule  ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal