Author Topic: planting out  (Read 2089 times)

Justy

• Hectare
planting out
« on: April 29, 2005, 11:00:14 »
has anyone started planting out seedlings yet?  If so what?  I have trays and trays and pots and pots of stuff but not sure what is ok to go out.

I have:  French Beans (Tendergreen) - about a foot tall
broccoli (couple of inches), purple sprouting, courgettes and pumpkins.  Have sweetcorn, toms etc too but know that too early for them.

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
Re: planting out
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 11:02:29 »
most of my stuff are still in the packet. The only things I have got growing good are the Sprouts and cabages!
Waiting for the ground to warm up.
Be kind to slugs and snails!

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 11:14:39 »
Wow foot tall french beans  :D Erm I am pretty sure they are frost tender, but it might be worth planting out say half of them and getting ready to fleece/cover when a frost is forecast. Depends on how convenient it is for you to get to and from the plot to do this.

Your profile says you are in worcester, and I guess your 'last' frost would be sometime around late may like me in Oxford. Anything tender (beans, toms, sweetcorn, pumpkins) before that might be a bit risky.

Moggle - not an expert and happy to be corrected if this is not quite right  :)

Edit

And more helpful information about frost zones here:
http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/
« Last Edit: April 29, 2005, 11:16:58 by Moggle »
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2005, 00:12:58 »
I chanced some dwarf french beans today on the plot, but they are in a sunny spot and under a cloche.  All of my brassicas are now out, along with some lettuce, onions/leeks/springs, herbs, peas, chards.....is that all, I am trying to think....  Squashes will be in a couple of week along with corn, toms and beans.  We are sheltered in this part of Essex and I am almost certain we have seen the last frost.  Last year I planted runners, and toms out on the 1st May and they were all fine, until the blight killed all of my toms  >:(.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2005, 00:27:16 »
Was tempted to plant my parsnips last week, but the soil was so wet still that I have held off.  Everything is so much later this year but I think I will risk them on Sunday.  We have all the potatoes in now, onions are looking great and so are the garlic (first time we have tried them).  I have some mixed lettuce leaves coming up, and a nursery bed of cabbages.  I have also sowed some nasturtiums around my brassica bed as I have heard they are a good companion plant for white fly.  We have some toms and cucumbers in the greenhouse, and my OH has risked planting the sweet pea plants on our sunny back fence.  Glorious day today so the soil should be warming  up nicely.   :) busy_lizzie   
live your days not count your years

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2005, 07:06:38 »
Justy - as said, no harm in risking some beans, but the brassica at 2" are a bit young (unless you really want them out & they are stiff enough to stand up straight) & the other things I wouldn't risk.

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2005, 11:10:33 »
Thanks all for advice.  I think I will risk some beans because I have loads of plants so worse case scenario is I have to replant.  I will leave the rest for a few more weeks.

On a beany note mine are in 3" pots but seem very 'leggy' will they be ok?  They are french Tendergreen which is supposed to be dwarf and not need support but they are already toppling over and look very straggly.  Would post piccy but dont know how.  Is it poss to pinch them out to make them more bushy?

the_snail

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2005, 15:55:06 »
I find that beans grow better when sown straight in the ground in late may. Beware of slugs and snails though.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2005, 23:52:56 »
I am assuming you can pinch the growing tips out of beans, like you would sweetpeas, to encourage branching....but not until there are a few true leaves.  Even though they are self supporting you could plant them in a block, which is what I do with these lads, then stick 4 canes in, one in each corner, and do a loop of sting around them.  This just keeps them all neat and in one place rather than flopping onto the path.  Once they are out in the cooler weather, growth will slow down and I am sure they will become more stocky.

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2005, 08:58:22 »
I have most of my seedlings in the mini greenhouse and they are all doing well.

The morning glories I have indoors as they sulk at the first sign of wind or sun and play the dead game. 

I will hang onto them until mid May or so when I will plant them out.  Hopefully by then they will have got stronger.

I will need to dig some of my lawn out in order to find space for my lettuces, radishes and onions !  ::) :P ;D
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2005, 20:19:42 »
In N Derbys we don't usually plant out until 1st June as we get clobbered if we venture our stuff out too soon.   :(
I came, I saw, I composted

simon404

• Hectare
    • Simon's Allotment
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2005, 21:37:19 »
I've put sweetpeas out, brussels and "greyhound" cabbage, also chanced a few "little gem" and "lollo rosso" lettuce.  :)

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2005, 08:14:27 »
got me lettuce out too...and i'm hardening of me beans and annuals... :D
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

the_snail

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2005, 12:12:42 »
Just sown some lettuce the first lot a BIG slug ate all the contents of the seed tray. >:( Anyway its a Take 2 with the lettuce. Just sown some broccoli and my caugettes. Also sown some Beetroot Chard in the greenhouse :D And me sweetcorn :D

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2005, 16:12:27 »
hmm think I may have been a tad premature on the sowing side.....  Now beans, courgettes, sweetcorn, purple sprouting broccoli  and tomatillos out on deck hardening off.  Only peppers, tomatoes and flowers left in grow house.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal