Author Topic: Much loved tools?  (Read 4648 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Much loved tools?
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2005, 22:59:32 »
My best and oldest tool is my 30year old yard brush. I has had 9 new heads and 6 new handles and it is still going strong.

I'll get my coat!

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2005, 00:26:35 »
You are funny Heritage.  ;D ;D busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2005, 00:39:28 »
No offence taken at all, John -  I'm genuinely curious.
By the way, I know someone who has a 'grubber' and swears by it... and occasionally at it...!
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

Ceri

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2005, 08:39:01 »
Amazin

- my back garden soil is, in many parts, pure clay.  I have permanently bent a spade and snapped tines off a fork (both expensive Wilkinson Sword ones) trying to work it.

I learnt the expensive way to use the claw first to open up the clay before even trying anything else.

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2005, 22:42:20 »
One of my most useful 'tools' is one I made myself last year - it's my garden line - found a pair of huge wooden knitting needles in a charity shop and have fastened twine to these and with their pointed ends and big knobs on the end - they're just perfect.....H.P.

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2005, 14:29:05 »
My favourite tool is my hand made trowel.

My better half lovingly made it (or so he tells me ;)) from stainless steel and its fantastic.

Ive had it for about two years now and it digs down through anything no matter how tough or dried up the soil might be.

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2005, 18:13:15 »
[ once compared hands with a 4'9" lady from Mexico - and mine were smaller.  /quote]

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

prefer women with small hands

:-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

Seriously though, tools are not very adaptable for the wide variation of people using them, always getting blisters & RSI somewhere. Never still enough to heal properly and have to wrap up with masking tape for weeks to soften skin to heal :-\

fat larry

• Half Acre
    • Save the plot
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2005, 19:37:06 »
i've always wanted one of those hoes - someone once joshed me they are called racing hoes - that you pull towards you, and they have a swan shaped neck leading to the handle.
saw a guy yesterday using what looked like a cricket stump to weed his lottie - is that like the spiked tool someone mentioned earlier?
I will finish it, one day

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal