Author Topic: Mulching  (Read 1606 times)

Tulipa

• Hectare
Mulching
« on: April 23, 2005, 08:00:35 »
We are completely redesigning our front garden and have rebuilt a wall to support the soil at the base of our laurel hedge.  What should we mulch it with to stop the weeds?  I was wondering about a thick layer of bark which would in time improve the clay soil and I can top it up as necessary, OH wants to put black fabric underneath the bark.  Which way should we go? 

I have ruled out coca shell as dogs walking past might eat it.  Next doors cats also like that area unfortunately!  We did have ground cover plants in the border but they didn't do very well because of the hedge roots.

Gardenantics

• Acre
    • Garden Antics
Re: Mulching
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2005, 08:10:53 »
I had trouble with creating a cat WC by bark mulching under a hedge. Solved it by putting down a woven fabric mulch called Phormisol, and a thin layer of cheap builders pebbles which I then covered with large beach type pebbles that the cats can't move, and look elsewhere to mess. The large pebbles are just the right size to throw at cats too! Keep a few spares by the door.

Brian

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2005, 08:33:43 »
I agree with the shingle pebble over membrane. I have this under a large hawthorn hedge on the lane at the front. I looks smart and is easy to care for.

I also under planted daffs and when I put the membrane down cut a slit in it for them to come up through. We then get a good show of colour in the spring and it is very easy to manage.

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2005, 21:53:58 »
Phormisol is very good quality and nothing will grow through it if you put it down properly. Mulching with chipped bark will make it look more attractive.  Good luck  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal