Author Topic: buying a greenhouse  (Read 11794 times)

Sarah-b

• Acre
buying a greenhouse
« on: April 14, 2005, 10:57:03 »
Hi everyone - I'm not a frequent visitor to this board, so hope I'm not duplicating anything.
Anyway, I want to buy a greenhouse and am considering a Europa Princess 6x6 with toughened glass.
Questions:
How tough is tough?
Am I mad, will we ever cope with a greenhouse at home as well as 2 allotments, jobs, little children etc?
Is it a good make?
Will it be hard to build?
Am I right the roof should go north-south along the ridge?

Thanks,
Sarah.

SEDUM

• Not So New ...
Re: buying a greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005, 11:34:43 »
Hi there,

I built a flat-pack greenhouse several years ago, the same size as the one you are looking at.  Start early in the day and read the instructions thoroughly, is my advice.  I had two friends to help and even then we were putting the last bits together with a torch in between our teeth!  Choose one with ventilation you can adjust when things get too hot or too cold.

Toughened glass, as opposed to horticultural glass, will shatter into small pieces - like windscreen glass will.  I have a windy garden and last year after a storm, one pane of glass fell out, but survived the fall.  I have toughened glass and don't regret it.  It IS more expensive, but worth it.

TWO allotments?  I have a small garden (20'x30') and the 6'x6' greenhouse is enough for my needs and a friend who uses it to bring on stuff for her own small garden.  I find that the greenhouse is invaluable for nurturing seedlings and preparing them for planting out.  I also use the greenhouse to grow-on extra vulnerable plants, so slug and snail damage is minimal when they eventually go into open ground - I won't use pesticides, you see.  Lastly, I keep heat-loving things like peppers and toms in the greenhouse when germinating and nurturing is done.

I keep seed-sowing to a maximum of 8 pots per seed (2 seeds per pot) and stagger sowing from March onwards.  That way while things are germinating, other things are being repotted and the greenhouse doesn't get too crowded.  BUt, I'm saying more than you asked...  Perhaps you need a larger greenhouse?

Regards,
Art

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 12:29:41 »
If you have your greenhouse at home rather than on the plot it might be more convenient as it's on hand to make life easier with children etc    You can do bits in it while kids are in bed.  I wish I had one - some day  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2005, 18:21:08 »
Answers:

tougher than horti glass which can be as thin as paper!

You are mad, but then join the club!  I have 2 allotments and 2 sproggles, fair sized back garden and a largeish greenhouse.  We are women, we can multi-task!  ;D

Dunno, is there not a review section when you google?

Of course it will, that is part of the fun, on a balmy early summers day, with the kids pinching the bolts and the vino collapso flowing.   ;)

Dunno, mine goes that way to this, or back to front.  I had to have it where there was room, and I couldn't and wouldn't be without it now!

Go on, you know you wanna.

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2005, 17:29:50 »
I am so very pleased !!! ;D ;D

Hubby has bought me a mini greenhouse today !
Yippeeeeee!!!

;D
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2005, 17:33:01 »
Lucky you  :)   Have you put it up and got it full yet?  If so, with what?

Sorry for being nosy  .... er, no I'm not!   ;D

wattapain

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2005, 17:36:51 »
Oh Marianne, You must be so very pleased  - guess we know what you'll be doing this weekend. Loveto see a pic when you can - coy I sure am nosey and don't mind admitting it!! ;D 8) ;D
Congrats.
Terri

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2005, 18:06:21 »
  Hi Terri and Wardy  :D

;D  Well it's only a mini greenhouse which we bought from a local shop for dead cheap!! :P

It's 1.60 metre high (5 foot 8??) and has 4 shelves, 50mm wide and rather large for my needs! 

The frame is made of green metal tubing as well as the shelving and the body itself is made of very thick transparent polythene. 

It's raining in Hertfordshire today so I have not yet put it up but I am hoping for sunshine tomorrow or at least dry weather!  I have lots of morning glory and sunflower seedlings to furnish it with and I intend getting on with tomatoes and lettuce asap!  Will take a photo as soon as the contraption is up.
Thanks for your interest !  :D

wattapain

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2005, 18:57:39 »
It's 1.60 metre high (5 foot 8??) and has 4 shelves, 50mm wide and rather large for my needs!

Do'nt you believe it - you will find that in a month or so's time you'll be moving  and juggling things around (rather like the fridge at Christmas!) and wishing you had more room. ;D 8)
But enjoy it  - it is the best fun you have with clothes on ;D.
But I must admit i can sometimes be seen in there in my dressing gown ;D ;D
Terri

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2005, 19:01:25 »
Awwww thank you so much Terri !  :D

I already have lots of plans for my tiny garden and I intend growing stacks of stuff now I have a little more room in the greenhouse. 

I suspect you are right, I will find it "not big enough" for my needs soon!  ::) :-\

Take care !

ruudbarb

• Half Acre
  • Let's get dirty and dig up the spuds..........
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2005, 11:08:01 »
Hi everyone - I'm not a frequent visitor to this board, so hope I'm not duplicating anything.
Anyway, I want to buy a greenhouse and am considering a Europa Princess 6x6 with toughened glass.
Questions:
How tough is tough?

Toughened or safety glass should be made compulsory if there are children about or people like me, a bit clumsy who trip over their own shadow.  I had some blow out soon after it was erected and didn't break so put 6 clips in per pane instead of 4.  Been okay for the last 4 years.

Am I mad, will we ever cope with a greenhouse at home as well as 2 allotments, jobs, little children etc?

Yes you are mad but it's great.......

Is it a good make?

I have a 12' x 8' greenhouse by the same manufacturer and have no complaints.   They are made by Eden who have provided me with some superb aftersales service years after the purchase.  Provided you follow the instructions and don't have the same 'helpful' neighbour I had, you won't be disappointed.

Will it be hard to build?

It shouldn't be if you follow the instructions as a small house won't involve heavy lifting.  Just be careful when you tighten up the aluminium nuts and bolts and make sure it is square because if it is otherwise, the glass might not fit and the door jams.

Am I right the roof should go north-south along the ridge?

I don't think it matters with a small house but I would orientate it so the ridge runs east-west as you will pick up more early sun in the spring when it is needed most.  I would also invest in automatic ventilators, one in the roof and a louvre at low level.  Shading material came with mine so you may not need to get any but small houses heat and cool very rapidly.  Always go for the biggest you can afford and shop around for the best prices - I bought mine off the internet from a company in Royston who offered me a very good deal and got it cheaper than many garden centres were selling 8' x 6' ones for.........;D ;D ;D

Thanks,
Sarah.

I hope that is of some help Sarah and go for it........... 8)

SEDUM

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2005, 11:44:17 »

But I must admit i can sometimes be seen in there in my dressing gown ;D ;D
Terri

Thank god you said that Terri, I thought I was the only one - what must the neighbours think, me in my towelling robe this morning before breakfast, checking out the seedlings in the greenhouse, shifting pots...  Sowing and growing definitely takes precedence this time of year.  Art

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2005, 14:33:33 »
Well here the mini greenhouse.  Just started moving pots in there and it looks good from here.  But as terri said, it WILL be too small .....

My hubby says us gardeners are never content with what we've got, we always want bigger.   ;D ;)

wattapain

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2005, 15:35:48 »
Well here the mini greenhouse.  Just started moving pots in there and it looks good from here.  But as terri said, it WILL be too small .....

My hubby says us gardeners are never content with what we've got, we always want bigger.   ;D ;)

Marianne, no matter how big a greenhouse you buy, it will always end up being too small evntually. I suspect even Tim, who has a greenhouse to die for, sometimes has to juggle plants around.
But at the moment you have plenty of room and you will now go mad and sow all sorts of things , and have a great time.
You can always get another one - looks like you have room  ;) ;D.
Your hubby's right (but don't tell him I said that - that's against the rules)  ;D 8) ;D
Enjoy.
Terri

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2005, 18:10:01 »
Hi Terri  :D

Thanks for your kind reply.  I have many more seedlings on my windowsills and need to move them into the mini greenhouse.  I can see right now that I will need at least another two !  ;D ;D 

Is Tim your hubby ??  My hubby is the best money can buy  ;D :D
And he IS always right !  ;D
Take care !

wattapain

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2005, 18:14:54 »
No Marianne, Tim's not my hubby ;D, Brian is mine and like yours he is very often right, but not ALWAYS!!  ;D
We've been married 34 years so he must be OK  ::).
Gld you got what you wanted ;)
Terri

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2005, 18:51:32 »
Hi Terri.  34 years is a long time and I congratulate you.  I have only been married 4 years but it's not my first relationship !  ;) ::) ::)

Yes I did get what I wanted but the frightening thing is that .. I want more and bigger ... ;D ;) :D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2005, 19:30:12 »
I've been married 25 years in July and I'm dropping huge hints that I want a greenhouse.  He'll probably buy one like yours Marianne - not the huge glass job I'm dreaming of  ;D

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2005, 19:35:31 »
Hahaha Wardy  ;D ;D  Get the catalogues out and put them on the tables, on the seats ... keep saying phrases that include "Glass" and "House"  ::)

In my case, my hubby WOULD have bought bigger but we simply do not have the space for it ! ;D
As my garden is also so small, I could not possibly justify a larger one !  ;) ;D
But I wish you luck in your endeavours !   ;) :D

supernan

• Half Acre
  • Chief mushroom compost digger, Bud
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2005, 08:26:00 »
I am a keen car booter and have sacrificed my metal market stall.............. tis now covered in see through plastic, duck tape and being used as second greenhouse. First 8x6 is bursting at the seams. I now need another heater LOL.

Mmmmmmmmmm wonder if I can put a clear roof on the garage??
Supernan!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal