Author Topic: Heldi's allotment  (Read 28184 times)

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
Re: my new allotment
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2005, 14:40:41 »
Hi and thanks for the good wishes everybody.

Didn't get to the allotment last weekend...no baby-sitter.  This weekend might get a couple of hours on Sunday. My little lad is going for his karate grading in the afternoon so it might be a push to get much done. Still something is better than nothing isn't it. 

I will definately post some more pics as I go along.

supernan

• Half Acre
  • Chief mushroom compost digger, Bud
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2005, 16:19:13 »
 :) Hey Heldi you've got your work cut out on the lottie. Glass is rotten you will have to watch yourself for ages as bits get everywhere.

How do you get the time, two kids, OH, lottie and take great pics ???
Supernan!!

bear

• Not So New ...
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2005, 23:16:35 »
You've cleared a lot in such a short space of time. It looks a lot better. Well done.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2005, 11:19:41 »
I'm furious!   >:(

I've been finding it hard to get to the allotment regularly because of the dangers of the glass and having two kids,no babysitter. One of them is only 23months so I can't let her wander about. 

I was there on Sunday to find not only had the scrap man (who I was reliabley informed would take the scrap away) not taken anything but a couple of bike frames,that other allotment holders have been dumping their scrap and asbestos. I felt so depressed.

Kids have been wrecking what fence there is.

We set about covering the ground with black sheeting and old carpet in order to get on top of the weeds. We haven't had a chance to get any ground turned over yet. His Majesty set about loading some of the bags of rubbish left by the last tenent into the car and take it off to the tip. I set about hand picking the glass up by hand. My son dug a hole and my daughter sat in her pushchair...not very happy.

To cap it all,this morning a letter arrived from the secretary of the Allotment management committee saying that concern was expressed at the uncultivated state of our allotment and if it isn't "returned" to a reasonable state of care/cultivation in 4 weeks our tenency will be ended. Grrrrrr! No phone number for me to call up and vent my spleen.

How quickly the state of the plot when we agreed to take it on has been forgotten. Atleast I have photographic evidence that I'll quite happily shove down someones throat. I'm boiling mad. I'm so busy clearing up the last tenents mess to even start on what I really want to do.  Absolutely no help has been offered from anyone.  Apart from "what you need is to borrow my chickens!"   

Thanks for listening.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2005, 11:41:37 »
That is outrageous Heldi.  Cosidering the state of your plot when you took it over and all the rubbish you inherited they are being grossly unfair. You must write to them straight away.  Blood boiling for you.  >:(  busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2005, 12:14:04 »
yes, write a letter straight away to the allotment secretary.
include photos/print outs of photos also pointing to the added rubbish that other plotholders have dumped on your site.

if you have a copy of the tenancy agreement, check what points there are about entering other people's plots. as they may not be allowed to do so!

but yes, i am mad on your behalf.
have you met anyone on the site yet at all? are they friendly?

and, is the lottie council run? if so, the allotment secretary might not actually ever have seen the plot before and after?

can you also ask for the rent to be stopped until the rubbish man comes and removes all the rubbish/you get some help clearing the plot?

svea
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2005, 13:24:28 »
Thankyou Busy and svea. I'm not taking this lying down and will be sending a letter!  To think it was said as the plot was offered to us that it "will be a long term project" and "you'll probably not get any crops in this year" . So they knew fine well what a grotty site it is.  Phoned His Madge and he is now hopping mad!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2005, 13:34:33 »
Feeling for you Heldi.  Svea's advice is good and worth acting on.  Make your letter icy but polite and ask them what help they give to people taking on allotments the site managers have allowed to be neglected to this degree.
Obxx - Vendée France

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2005, 13:37:58 »
Thankyou Obelixx

That is sound advice.

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2005, 14:06:19 »
I really feel for you Heldi, saying the site is a mess would be an understatement. My blood is boiling too now.

Maybe when you write your letter to the secretary you should ask if he/she has a magic wand  ;D (to help you clear the plot quickly).

Keep your chin up girl, you can do it. Big virtual hugs xxxx

Lord Steve

• Half Acre
    • Turn 'Em Green
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2005, 14:26:06 »
Hi Heldi - let me add my virtual 'GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR's on your behalf. How maddening and frustrating. Good luck with your dealings with the Lottie Sec. Chin up and you know where your friends are when you need a quiet rant or just a friendly virtual hug!! Take care and best of luck. Lord Steve x

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2005, 15:05:31 »
Thanks Twospot and Lord Steve.

I'm glad it seems I'm not being over the top in my reaction. I do get a bit hot headed but I think this time I have a good right.  You should've seen/heard me have a go at a boy throwing stones at a mouse whilst I was up at the allotment the other day! Can't stand crueltyand cruelty for cruelty's sake I aint going to stand by and let happen.

Anyway this lot aint going to beat me either because when I'm finished I'm going to have the best plot ,then they'll all be wishing they'd taken it on. I will do a very unladylike virtual finger at them!!! They aren't fit enough to lick my pink wellies !

Svea

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2005, 15:22:56 »
just as an afterthought - if the site is council run - or otherwise - can you CC anyone of authority into the letter?
i find nothing gets action quicker than a letter which has also been sent to higher authorities than the person on the adress line :D

ken (69)

• Acre
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2005, 17:04:14 »
Congrats, Heldi...you done well....

Juliet

• Half Acre
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2005, 17:32:07 »
Heldi, that's awful >:(.  You might find the website http://www.howtocomplain.com/ useful, though not sure there's anything relating to allotments.  Hope you get it sorted out soon.

caz 406

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2005, 17:38:08 »
You can see quite a difference from the first pictures - must have taken some hard work. Keep at it - will be so worth it when you first get to planting something.  :)

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2005, 21:42:15 »
What a bl**dy cheek, I would have thought the council or owners would be responsible for clearing, spraying and rotavating the plot before leasing it.

You have saved them a fortune clearing that or them, pah! I'm starting to seethe >:(

Asbestos should be handled by professionals for disposal  >:(

I wouldn't take my advice because I would blow my top and tell them where to stick it. >:(

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2005, 23:25:01 »
Heldi, good luck with getting it sorted.  Keep us posted.

Ellkebe

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2005, 09:07:32 »
Heidi  Sorry to hear of your allotment woes but don't get discouraged  :)  It was never going to be easy and whilst we know lotty secs should do all sorts they generally don't and plots just are allowed to become rubbish tips and no-one gives a stuff.  When it comes to clearing them up they leave you to it.  Unfair but it's what happens on most sites.

The letter you were sent was horribly unfair.  Try and reign in your temper though as you might be able to get some help with a rent reduction and maybe some dosh towards your asbestos removal and a skip.  We wrote to our Town Clerk and got just that!  It was a one off and we have asked since and been refused but in your case it's well worth asking for as you have such a strong case.  The council does have a budget for such things and being as it's only May there may be a chance there's something left in it.  Good luck  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Svea

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2005, 09:51:10 »
lol wardy - your comment about allotment secretaries reminds me: our secretary hasn't even touched his plot yet this year! all his left over cabbages have gone to seed, last year's potatoes are coming through - again. and it looks like a general wilderness.
i think our president is having a word with him though  ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal