Author Topic: Heldi's allotment  (Read 28257 times)

Plocket

• Hectare
  • Clematis Crystal Fountain
    • Plocket's Clematis Site
Re: my new allotment
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2005, 10:39:05 »
Hi Heldi! I don't know the first thing about lottie rules and regulations, but if they gave you a lottie like that they should surely give you a chance to start clearing it. If they kick you off the site then they either have to wait for someone else to start work on it or just leave it. Use your photos and sort it out - once they realise you are keen surely they will want you as a lottie holder?

As for kids smashing up the fence - can't the Council or whoever owns the lottie help out? It is in their best interests after all.

As you have quite a bit of lottie to work on, would it be prudent to start on a small area, clear it and start growing as soon as possible therefore showing that you are doing something? That way there will also be a bit of ground for the kids to play on too.

You have a hell of a job ahead of you, but from what I gather about you Heldi you are a tough bird and will knuckle down and get on with it. You have mental support from everyone here who will be more than happy to encourage you when you get down about your lottie. You go girl! Px
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

crackintackle

• Not So New ...
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2005, 12:50:11 »
Hi sweetie

Once you have sorted out the wet wipe who runs this shower (and you will!!), you should throw a lottie party.

I'll make the journey to help you..........

Crackin'

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2005, 22:15:28 »
I've written and sent the letter. I've included most of the advice given to me on here. BIG thanks to everyone! Once the committee gets their dictionary out they'll be quite taken aback I think. I can be quite lucid when I need to be...unbelievable as it may seem lol!

Wardy, we were given the plot rent free because it in such a state of disrepair and it wasn't thought that we would be able to get any crops in this year. That is the crux of my anger. They said that,they knew that, yet they can send us a snotty letter after 1 month.

Hi Plocket!  I have cleared a very small area though I'm not too concerned about the weeds at the moment. The plot doesn't effect any other as it is stuck out on a limb. The main reason I'm not too concerned about the weeds right now is that the earth is a dream to work with. Extremely easy to fork through. I don't denie there is an awful lot to do, but it will be done.I don't find that a big problem. We have concentrated on the rubbish,especially the glass. We want that stuff out of the way so we can enjoy the plot and not still be shifting rubbish in months to come.  I'm so angry with the last tenant. I could wring his neck! It feels like we're getting the flack for his slobby behaviour.

Crackin,you are more than welcome to come and have a lottie party with us. That would be fun!  That allotment site wouldn't know what had hit it! Mind you having said that,here is an awful lot of beer cans on that plot!  All tidied up now ofcourse! 

His Madge had words with the guy who handed out the lottie today. He felt like the guy was pretending he knew nothing about the letter. The guy said "ignore it" Very strange. Methinks the ars don't know what the elbow is doing.  Anyway whilst there His Madge mentioned that we have ambitions of keeping some chickens. Another lottie holder on hearing this has kindly given us some mesh to make a run for them. (We're thinking chickens will  help with the weeds!).  So they aren't all a bunch of "insert rude name of your choice".

Once again folks thanks for your support and very good advice.  I will keep you posted and promise some more pics really soon.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2005, 23:15:08 »
Can't help but conclude somebody has sent that letter out by mistake Heldi.  Hope you get a letter of apology soon.  Good for you for sending your reply straight off, it must have made you feel much better to get it all off your chest.  I was even fuming for you.   :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2005, 23:41:27 »
Hmmm. I don't think it was a mistake Busy. I think the guy didn't like being put on the spot today. His Madge said he got the impression that the guy knew all about the letter but was pretending he didn't. 

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2005, 09:49:04 »
It makes you suspicious that the lotty guy prompted the letter being sent as he may have a pal who wants a plot so if he can get you evicted his pal picks up a plot that you have tidied.  Convenient eh?   

Hope my suspicions are unfounded and that everything will be ok Heidi  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2005, 13:22:58 »
Hee hee Wardy you sound as suspicious as I am!

Clayhithe

• Acre
  • Easy does it
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2005, 21:00:13 »
Glad it's working out,  Heidi.

Don't let them distract you.
Good gardening!

John

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2005, 17:06:08 »
Allow me to say "Hah"!  I have received a written apology for my "justified"  complaint.  Goody, I'm pleased I made an issue about it. Apparently there were a few letters that went out about unkempt plots but the secretary reckons they (the commitee)were unaware of the original state of our allotment when we took it on.  Well whatever their excuse atleast I've made them sit up and take notice. No word about the scrap other than the chairman is supposed to be phoning skip companies for prices. Don't really hold much hope for that. The fence is being discussed with the council but I don't expect much from that either. Not bothered, as long as they don't hassle us and give us the time to turn that plot around.

Was up there on Sunday. Actually did a wee bit of digging. Just to make a change from picking up glass.  >:(   The soil is so easy to work with. :) Wish I had it at home. Wouldn't want the weeds though. Mares tail,ground elder nettles creeping buttercup,couch grass to name a mere few of them!  His Madge has constructed a couple of compost bins out of some pallets. Things are on the move even though it doesn't look much like it!

Are planning to get some chickens so need to find out as much info as possible about keeping them. So will be trawling these boards unless some good people put some advice here for me...hint hint!!

Thanks for all your support. It really helps. 

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2005, 17:36:26 »
Sorry to hear you have ground elder - you have my sympathy.  Don't leave it or it will take over.  I have been tackling it for what seems an eternity.  I zap it with glyphos, wait for regrowth and zap it again.  I did that twice last year having dug over an entire spagetti filled border and hand picked every bit of root I could find (which needs removing from site) or burning.  I didn't have to wait long for it to come back so I let it get big enough and then weedkilled it.  I checked yesterday and it's piggin well back again.   :(

The rest of your message sounds more optimistic.  I hope you get your skip as it looks like you'll need it.

Good luck and keep letting us know how its coming along.  Before and after pics please  ;D

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2005, 14:07:05 »
Hi Heldi,

I'm so glad you got your appology, let's hope they give you plenty time to get  your plot up to scratch. As Wardy says please keep us up to date with your progress and include pictures  ;D

maz

• Acre
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2005, 17:08:16 »
Ooooo just caught up with this.  >:( 

Well done Heldi for taking on a task like that and getting stuck in and also for getting things sorted with the committee. I cant believe they were unaware of the state of the grotty lottie.  >:(  Never mind its all sorted now. ;D

A friend is someone who thinks you are a good egg,
even though you are slightly cracked.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2005, 17:44:43 »
Good result Heldi. Well done for not taking it lying down and for making a fuss. Glad they sent you a letter of apology, as they should have.  Now you  can get on with digging your plot.  Keep posting pics so we can see it's transformation. busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2005, 19:01:47 »
Well done Heldi!  I'd keep a copy of all correspondence though, just to be on the safe side!

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2005, 22:22:38 »
All letters are filed!!!

I aim to try to be organic.  :'(  :)  I hate to kill anything (c'ept aphids)so I'm hoping to get an equilibrium going. Might take years but I don't mind.

I forgot to take my camera last weekend. Mind you, with the weeds growing at an alarming rate you can't tell what we have been doing! Have laid black sheeting down on some parts and dug over a little. I guess picking up glass doesn't make an initial impact. There is still an enormous amount to get shifted. I really can't get over why anyone with half a brain would smash a greenhouse down with a hammer.  There is ofcourse lots of other bits of glass lying about and also sheets of the stuff in the shed. Is there an easy way to turn glass back into sand I keep wondering. I need a smelter I suppose! I live by the sea. The sea could do it but I don't think people would like it!  See how it is affecting me!!!

Apparently the guy who used to have it years ago had it very well kept. You can tell by the soil that at some point it has been tended to. Wonderful stuff. I wonder if the poor old guy turns in his grave to see how it is now. I never knew him but I have it in my mind that given time, we will make him happy. I hope so.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2005, 22:27:49 »
p.s. Wardy you must've been with me in spirit cos I was chucking that ground elder into the fire as quick as I could get it out of the ground.  No doubt it will be an eternal fire with the eternal ground elder!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2005, 09:44:32 »
Heidi  I'm tackling ground elder again today.  Yuk    When I've done that I'll be mostly collecting broken glass.  It keeps coming to the surface all the time  :(  I think I'll have to invest in some knee pads as I just daren't put my knees on the ground in case I sever an artery  ;D      I curse the pillock who put it there  ;D

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2005, 12:40:10 »
We shall curse our pillocks together!

Knee pads are a brilliant idea,hadn't thought of those for the allotment. Had pondered getting some for at home.In the front garden I have to kneel on the path and it blinking hurts. Will definately get some now. Thanks Wardy that is a great idea.Might get things moved on a little bit quicker.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2005, 00:03:11 »
Went to the plot tonight and found my OH has bought some old window frames, complete with glass, onto the plot.  Just what I wanted - more bleepin glass  ;D

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2005, 10:23:59 »
Hope you told him off!

I'm chucking cardboard down over the bits I've dug. It looks a state but I need time to clear the rubbish. That rubbish is giving me nightmares. I'll bet there's more when I next go back. Picking up the glass just doesn't look like it makes any impact what so ever.Whilst the weeds are running amuck. It'll be worth it in the long run though.

I'm trying to make nettle fertiliser with some of the nettles. Hope it stinks to high heaven to keep the kids away hee hee!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal