Allotment Stuff > The Basics

Bewildered by nets

<< < (2/2)

JanG:
I think the cheapest netting to buy in any quantity is the stuff that is often quite a bright, green called either debris netting or scaffold netting. It’s used by builders to stop debris landing where it shouldn’t.

For strawberries I simply drape netting straight onto the bed and don’t find it needs a frame. I only do that as the fruit starts to ripen, as that’s when they become attractive to blackbirds etc.

Pigeons are definitely a nuisance with pea plants but I haven’t found them to be so with beans. They’re a nuisance when the plants are small and they can peck them from the ground, and then later when they can stand on any supports you’ve constructed for the peas. Then they strip the tops. For the later stages of shorter peas up to four feet,say, I simply drape netting over the tops of the plants and improvise ways of keeping it in place. Cheap clothes pegs are quite useful for that. 

Tiny Clanger:
We use scaffolding net over most of the crops. We buy off ebay

Deb P:
I bought a roll of the green finely woven debris netting from Amazon, and cut it to fit over various sized beds and frames. I also use them as ‘curtains’ to drape around wigwams of beans, sweet peas and tomatoes as frost protection for a few weeks. Protecting crops from the very hot weather the other year was another use got them, plus greenhouse shading.
I’ve reused mine for about 10 years and fold  and store them at the end of the season. I mark them in all four corners in permanent marker with a letter indicating the size ( for example T for tomato drapes, B for beds, C for curtains ) so I don’t have to open them up to find the size I require. I still have some left on the roll!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version