General > The Shed

not enough room

<< < (2/2)

Deb P:
If I recall correctly you are eating squash as a lower carb alternative to root veg so I would definitely explore as many vertical growing options as possible to make the best use if your space and consider the smaller acorn types that will scramble well and not be too heavy. They can also successfully be grown around the base of trees, sweetcorn and on compost heaps. Successional cropping can also help you make the best use of your more limited space, I try and have something ready to plant in newly cropped areas all year round but that means utilising our greenhouse and sowing most crops in modules with minimal direct sowing. The weather sometimes ruins the best made plans but your little island seems to do pretty well escaping the worst!

Tulipa:
Ace you could Google 'square foot gardening' which would give you ideas for inter-cropping with quick crops in part of your beds, there are a few websites that have info. And Deb's suggestion of growing your squashes upwards is a good idea.  There are some small ones with lovely flavours, much nicer than butternut. I think there are a few of us growing at home now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version