Produce > Edible Plants

Storing potatoes

<< < (2/3) > >>

peanuts:
I've always left our Pink Fir Apple to last, as you do, Paulh, as they do keep well, and the texture is so good.  they stay firm even when cooked for a couple of hours in a stew.   We then found that they also make the best texture 'new' potatoes as well, so we eat some straightaway  for pleasure.

peanuts:
Your dustbin sounds a good idea, but I'd presumably  still have to keep tipping them all out to remove the shoots every  couple of weeks.  Hmmmm, i'm realising that my cardboard boxes in the downstairs bathroom, not that far from the kitchen, might still be my best bet.  Our garage is right  at the far side of the garden, so a bit too far when I suddenly want potatoes for supper, now!

JanG:

--- Quote from: Peanuts on August 18, 2023, 07:26:52 ---Your dustbin sounds a good idea, but I'd presumably  still have to keep tipping them all out to remove the shoots every  couple of weeks.  Hmmmm, i'm realising that my cardboard boxes in the downstairs bathroom, not that far from the kitchen, might still be my best bet.  Our garage is right  at the far side of the garden, so a bit too far when I suddenly want potatoes for supper, now!

--- End quote ---

Yes, tipping out every couple of weeks sounds far too labour intensive. I’ve never bothered to remove shoots, except immediately before cooking! It would be interesting to know whether it makes any difference.

The worry of course in storing them in a little light is greening. If you go for the open tray option, can you throw some kind of fabric like an old curtain over the whole stack of trays?

peanuts:
For now, i'm sticking to my usual routine, in closed cardboard boxes, in a darkened downstairs bathroom on the north side of the house, currently the coolest room in the house.  But  as it is in the low 30s outside by the afternoon, and 25 in the house (which feels really cool!),  I suspect it is still too warm for them.  that is perhaps why they start shooting  so early. 
I remove the shoots regularly, as if I don't, there are so many, and surely that must  reduce the goodness and moisture in the potato for eating.  They get flabby. 

But as we have such a superb crop this year, I'm absolutely not complaining. 

Our sweetcorn this year has also been the best ever.

Tee Gee:
I never had a problem with storing them in paper bags, and found no need to keep checking the contents.

I found if I allowed the tubers to dry out for a few days then bag them up, I never seemed to get any shoots growing from them.

As I saw it; they were surface dry, in a dark place when in the bags and in a relatively cool but frost free under the greenhouse bench, all conditions that deter growth.

When bagging them up, I wore a pair of gloves with nylon ribs on the palms to clean off any dry/damp soil off on each tuber as I put them in the bag.(see selected saved tubers)

This is how I stored them for around a week to 10 days before bagging them up.

https://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Content/P/Potato/27_c.jpg

https://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Content/P/Potato/Potato.htm

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version