General > The Shed

Time to call it a day

(1/4) > >>

ACE:
Now the Yeti in pink knickers has retired we are away most of the time in the motor home and will start performing again at folk festivals and a pub near you soon. The allotment is getting neglected and what with the lack of rain nothing is thriving as it should, and with my restrictions on not being able to eat most root veggies I can grow what I need at home with water timers etc. Decided to hand the plot on to somebody with more time after I have harvested what survives this season. The rotovator has been sold, shed nearly empty of tools which are now at home. I'll miss the craic but I'm still having fun and exercise revamping the garden. I'll still keep in touch on here so you haven't heard the last of me. Happy digging everybody.

Tee Gee:
Having done the same I know where you are coming from.

To be honest on reflection I don ‘t know how I found the time to cultivate mine.

Like you I have found other pursuits take up lots of my time, plus the garden at home is acccounting for much of my time now,particularly this year what with this warm weather.

I think it has been the most trying time I have ever had over my 40+ years allotmenteering what with the heat and lack of rain. It hasn’t rained here for over a month now and my soil is snuff dry.

In fact I was speaking to someone the other day about temperatures particularly from March to May when in days of yore my preoccupation was keeping my seedlings relatively warm and frost free.

Now I am finding that I am trying to keep them relatively cool which is something I am not really geared up for what with my two greenhouses and three cold frames.

When I got up this morning the monitor I have in the house to keep me informed of the temperatures in my greenhouses was reading 117 degrees in old money (47 C)

Too bl** dy warm to work in my greenhouse this morning as I had planned.

So will have to find something indoors to do ( and there is plenty) as it is much cooler in here.

So good luck with you future and again like you I try to keep in touch with the gang at Allotments 4all
 :glasses9:

Tiny Clanger:
Oh Ace, so very sorry to hear this. Love reading your stuff. We too are struggling now with arthritis, husbands heart and grandchild care duties. Evening struggles as "Bhisti Wallah/Walli" are getting harder. Stay in touch, your advice and comments are always useful and entertaining - especially for someone like me that struggles with horticulture. All the very best and Happiness for you and you family xx

cambourne7:
Sorry to hear this. But understand fully why and look forward to updates on your new adventures.

Tulipa:
Yes Ace please don't leave us completely. tales of your escapades in your motor home will be most welcome and you can still pass on your expertise like Tee Gee and others do.  Enjoy the touring and folk festivals, at least they will give you plenty of people to chat to, that is what I still miss gardening at home, the stopping for a natter with fellow allotmenteers....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version