Allotment Stuff > The Basics

How many to grow...?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Tee Gee:
This is typical of how I used to plan my planting,sowing on the allotment and it worked well for me

https://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Content/C/Computers/Computers.htm

Harry:
Thanks all, for all the answers. It sounds like I'm in the right ball park.

I'll try to succession sow peas and carrots at something like monthly intervals.
I'll be freezing, dehydrating and making sauces to preserve any surpluses (wishful thinking  :sunny:) Spud yield is a big unknown. So is carrot where seeds were dropped in in clusters, so they may crowd each-other. I can't bring myself to cull them.

I'm just hoping my sowings survive without too much loss to pests, disease, weeds*, neglect :BangHead:

*B45tard Bindweed and mares tail!  :BangHead: :BangHead:

--- Quote from: Paulh on April 17, 2023, 08:34:53 ---courgettes - are among the most productive in terms of space used and length of season....they'll queue to give it away to you!

--- End quote ---
Courgettes. Tell me about it  :happy7: I got Sooooo many from just 3 plants.

Beersmith:
Your greatest friend is your own experience.  We can all make well meaning suggestions but gluts and shortages are often the result of things that cannot be controlled.  Droughts, blight, pests and diseases can hit yields very severely, but equally the omens are sometimes favourable and massive gluts result.

After a few seasons you will have adjusted your sowing and planting and space allocation to suit your own requirements but it is worth thinking about back up strategies. For example, your yield of carrots will be far higher grown under insect mesh as carrot fly in bad years can make a high proportion inedible.  Try holding back some onion sets until May as allium leaf miner is at its peak in March and April, or even consider putting them under mesh during spring.

The one thing that surprises me about your choice of vegetables is the absence of French and runner beans.  Surely the very best of allotment products.  But one man's meat and all that.

Beersmith:
P.S.

Thinning carrots increases yields. Tightly clustered they just never achieve any size.

Harry:

--- Quote from: Beersmith on April 19, 2023, 19:57:45 ---The one thing that surprises me about your choice of vegetables is the absence of French and runner beans.  Surely the very best of allotment products.  But one man's meat and all that.

--- End quote ---
Thanks. I think I'll try for a glut of everything and preserve what survives.
I'm already realising that having the allotment will be much more than anything I tackled before. Already stewing about weeds and mites and blights  :BangHead:
I will sow some french and/or runner beans, but truth is, we just so incredibly rarely eat them. I'd rather grow okra, but I've had no luck with those.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version