Produce > Edible Plants

Rabbits, pigeons and squirrels!

<< < (2/3) > >>

tricia:
There is a wood pigeon that visits my Sunburst cherry tree every evening to feast on the topmost leaves. Poor tree has had to be netted to prevent further ravaging, and also to protect the fruit once it ripens. The leaves right across the top of the tree look as though they have been fretsawed back to the petiole leaving only the frame. Very odd!

Tricia  :wave:

saddad:
I get that too Tricia... I assume he's more interested in the aphids and treat it as a bit of free pruning... but netting is essential!

JanG:
I also routinely cover brassicas. My main bugbear with pigeons is peas, as climbing peas are more difficult to net and I grow a lot of them. So far fruit hasn’t bern touched except that occasionally, late in the season, the odd apple is pecked. I had assumed it was smaller birds but it could be pigeons perhaps.

Rabbits have been unco-operative over the years but a fairly basic fence of chicken wire has now, so far, kept them at bay.

saddad:
The pigeons have taken the tops out of my climbing peas this week, having got to 6', considering getting some 8' posts for next year!

terrier:
Never get bothered by rabbits in veg patch, pigeons don't do that much damage and the one young Squirrel we have only pinches the bird food. The main problem is MOLES! I've got molehills all over my plot. Anything newly planted just gets pushed out of the ground. It seems much worse this year, I've always had a few molehills appear but now there seems to be an army of the brutes fully intent on plant carnage.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version