Produce > Edible Plants

Netting cloche tunnels for outdoor strawberries

<< < (4/4)

JanG:
Looks great. I wonder whether it might be a good idea to put something softer on top of each fence pin so that they don’t make holes in your netting. I use cut down plastic milk bottles quite a lot. Not very pretty though, I admit.

Beersmith:
I netted mine today. Plenty of set green fruits gradually swelling so hopefully a good crop in prospect.  I use aluminium frames roughly 2 metres by 5 and drape the nets over. 

I have two beds and never let them crop for more than four seasons and sometimes only three. I start new beds from runners pegged down in late summer.   It's inexpensive and keeps the beds healthy but I have rather lost track of the varieties over time.  I can recognise Korona due to the fruit size, but the others have got hopelessly mixed up.  It's a good excuse for the grandkids to pick from lots of different plants and compare for ripeness, flavour, sweetness and fruitiness.

Tee Gee:
Like Beersmith I practiced a rotation plan where each year I cleared out a third of the bed and refilled with new plants from runners I had taken. This meant in any given year I had one, two and three year old plants in the bed.

If you look at the photo I uploaded earlier you can see where I sited a flat iron hoop to demarcate the three groups.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version