Allotment Stuff > The Basics

Can you use too much manure/ compost

<< < (2/2)

Beersmith:
It's very hard to advise.

The spent mushroom compost is likely to be well balanced between N P and K, but as others have already noted can be high lime.  Lime in reasonable quantities makes nutrients more readily available so is no bad thing.  Home made compost is usually quite low in most nutrients but the bedding with poo and urine will probably be a bit high in nitrogen. But then chicken pellets are also high nitrogen too.  So depending on what you mean by a good sprinkling there is a risk of having a bit too much nitrogen relative to the other nutrients. 

Nitrogen does deplete quicker than other nutrients and does get washed out with heavy rainfall too.  On the plus side you may have some amazing leafy veg next season. Broccoli, kale, pak choi, lettuce and spinach are probably going to love it!

I have a personal theory that courgettes also like nitrogen. 

saddad:
Well they do need to make a lot of leaves very quickly...

Tiny Clanger:
Depends what I'm going to grow in a particular patch.  I never use fertiliser where I'm going to grow brassicas if I've used it the season before.  I check ph to see if I need lime in the autumn, then leave well alone unless something goes wrong.  Otherwise Tee Gee has it sorted I reckon!  :blob7:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version