Produce > Edible Plants

Runner Beans what variety

<< < (2/4) > >>

Vinlander:
Moonlight was supposed to be one of the first Runner/French hybrids - certainly there was a lot of hype to that effect - I wouldn't be surprised if it was a rare occurrence.

French beans do cross with other French beans fairly often - I've noticed this seems to happen more often in 'bad' years - though the sample size is too small to confirm anything.

All I know is that Borlotti 'firetongue' will cross (randomly) with Blue Coco to produce buff seeds with black markings or the inverse. One lot grows into green beans with purple flames on them and the other produces purple beans with green flames.

I'm trying to keep both going but some other crosses have proved very unstable; eg. a cross with Coco Bi-Colour produced seeds that were like lapis-blue fancy jasper when fresh (but less beautiful when dry) - I'm hoping that cross will happen again...

I must say that if you settle onto growing the best flavour varieties near each other then all your crosses will tend to be new good flavour varieties - and some of those might be more ornamental then their parents.

Oh, and if you see unusual seed patterns then sow them...

Cheers.

small:
They look very like my runner bean seeds though mine are usually a bit pinker. They are saved seed from an Enorma ancestor from 1984 - I bought a pack when we first moved here and have saved ever since. Red flowers, totally reliable big tasty beans. I used to grow surplus for sale back in the day, it was a nice little earner.

Digeroo:
Many thanks.  There is no pink in them at all.  They are cream and light brown and shiny, so so shiny.   
Moonlight have white beans.  I have kept moonlight beans not sure if they are self fertile the following year but they grow well.
I know that runner beans cross, but these are very regular in their colour.  None of them are a different colour.   
It will be interesting next year to see what colour the flowers are.

JanG:
I would say these are the traditional runner bean variety, ‘Painted Lady’ which have red and white flowers and this brown and creamy white colouring in the bean.

https://www.resilientseeds.com/store/p8/Dry_Pole_Bean_-_Painted_Lady_%28Certified_Organic%29.html

https://koanga.org.nz/gardens/product/runner-bean-painted-lady/

Deb P:
I’d also guess Painted Lady, but I’d plant up a wigwam of them when planting time comes around and see what you get!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version