Allotment Stuff > The Basics

More queries about Sweetcorn

<< < (3/4) > >>

Deb P:
I think it’s a common thing to want to push the boundaries of germination, hardening off and planting out; I have tried it in the past but have learned to have more patience now! I plant my sweetcorn in a large 7’x4’ box made from old double walled polycarbonate sheeting from a conservatory OH demolished, I have 4 smaller boxes I use for courgettes. These cubes offer protection against wind rock and low temperatures and I’ve found them really useful for tender crop protection, I also use old pop bottle sleeves around each plant (no tops on them just the middle of the bottles) which I leave on the whole season and have reused them for about 12 years now, they keep the slugs deterred until the stems are established. I’ve got a pic somewhere I’ll post it if I find it!

Deb P:
I’ve just checked, the pic I just posted was taken on 25th June last year, the sweetcorn was planted out straight from rootrainers on 5th June, so just under three weeks of growth!

JanG:
I was interested, Vinlander, in you saving seeds from OP sweetcorn. I believe the theory for corn is that you need about 200 plants to prevent inbreeding depression. So I’d be interested to know whether you grow that kind of quantity or whether, with fewer, that you’ve found the vigour holds up. I’ve grown on for one generation with seed saved from about 50 plants, and have found that to work quite well, but have wondered whether further generations would see a slow decline.

Vinlander:

--- Quote from: JanG on January 19, 2022, 07:22:50 ---I was interested, Vinlander, in you saving seeds from OP sweetcorn. I’ve grown on for one generation with seed saved from about 50 plants, and have found that to work quite well, but have wondered whether further generations would see a slow decline.
--- End quote ---

I did replant one of the bi-colour su OP varieties at least 5 seasons - (keeping an eye out for loss of the bi-colour gene seemed a good idea) - vigour wasn't the reason I stopped either, but the flavour declined.

The 3 most important things for GYO are the flavour, the flavour and of course the flavour. I don't rate sweetness very highly either - certainly not Xtrasweet/Supersweet (Yuk) or even tendersweet - though they are wonderful for farmers, grocers and anyone without a garden.

I don't exceed 3 seasons now, and I buy a packet of cheap su F1 online in the 3rd year so I have both types growing - flavour is more important than thrift.

If you GYO you really need to taste the su varieties - but they have to be cooked within 30 minutes of picking. If your plot is too far away then get a camping stove. The difference is huge.

Cheers.

JanG:
Interesting. I agree that over-sweetness masks more subtle flavours. I like some se varieties though. What commercial varieties of Su have you found available? Golden Bantam?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version