General > The Shed

organic or not

<< < (2/3) > >>

Palustris:
And so far no-one has explained how a plant can tell the difference between a naturally occurring trace element or one that is added to the soil.

Obelixx:
Just a few years ago on Beechgrove Jim did an experiment growing 2 identical types of tomato in identical pots and compost but feeding one lot with commercial tomato feed and the other with liquid comfrey "tea".   The latter did much better than the chemically fed ones.  He was so surprised her repeated the experiment the following year and got the same results and switched to comfrey tea thereafter.

Deb P:
Most directives that aim to direct the gardening methods of allotmenteers are doomed to failure I think….as long as they are not interfering with other plots by chemical drift or some such I’m happy for folk to do as they want. All methods have repercussions, including being tolerant of slower methods of clearing plots by excluding light instead of spraying. I’m interested how they were thinking they would assess/enforce such a policy? Had this been discussed with all members at an AGM?

gray1720:
I should probably confess at this point that our plots are supposedly organic, but the Secretary has observed that he has better things to do  than prowl round looking for non-organic usage (and our water comes from the Thames anyway, so gets the benefit of anything that goes in there upstream), and I am not averse to using a little of the stuff beginning with R as a gel weedkiller for the hedge bindweed - if I dig, hoe, AND weedkiller it, I can keep it back, any two of those and the stuff keeps me back. The real pisser is that it came in from a derelict plot next door...

ed dibbles:
Votes at an allotment AGM have no legal force have they? It is not illegal to use garden chemicals therefore the vote can't be enforced.

Yes garden chemicals should be used responsibly and intellegently. One or two on our site use 100% organic methods.

You should see the difference in size and quality between their plants and my larger and healthier plants :icon_cheers:

Don't forget the whole universe is made of chemicals. :happy7:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version