General > The Shed

organic or not

<< < (3/3)

Beersmith:
Voted in by the committee??

At our site it could only be voted in by a majority at an AGM. Also the local authority is the final arbiter on any rules, so unless it had LA support individual plot holders would be free to ignore the rule without sanction.

That said, I have no problem with anyone who chooses organic methods and I try hard to be very careful about my own use of of herbicides, pesticides.  Minimal use and only when absolutely necessary. In any event it would seem almost impossible to enforce especially on a large site like ours.

Tiny Clanger:
Does "organic" mean jot using Magnesium sulphate? I thought that was OK as its a naturally occurring substance.

Deb P:
As per Tee Gees post above, the definition seems to be difficult to agree. I always thought organic principles were developed simply to reduce the use of the many chemicals that were freely applied to edible produce at the time, that were later post development found to be potentially harmful to humans? Thus the comparison between wanting to avoid giving sprayed produce to a child and giving a child a researched and licensed paediatric drug is not really a fair one. I feel fortunate as a grower of food albeit on a small scale that I am
lucky to have control over my own produce in this way, everyone else has to put their faith in transparency of suppliers/ government telling us what they are using and using safe products…. and that it a whole other can of worms that I have no desire to open or debate!🤣

gray1720:

--- Quote from: Tiny Clanger on January 05, 2022, 02:56:42 ---Does "organic" mean jot using Magnesium sulphate? I thought that was OK as its a naturally occurring substance.

--- End quote ---

This is where it starts to get interesting. Various copper compounds have been licensed as "organic", but anything with copper in is potentially quite toxic - google Parys Mountain to see how slowly copper mine waste is colonised by plants. On the other hand, nicotine isn't licensed for garden use, but it is inarguably natural - and very toxic, and extremely non-selective as to what it kills. So which is "safe" and which is "organic"? 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version