Produce > Edible Plants

planting weather

<< < (3/3)

saddad:
The leeks went out yesterday, nowhere near "pencil" sized, but will grow away stronger for being planted out than left in the cells.

Obelixx:
I cheated - bought a bunch of 50 baby leeks when at a GC looking for herbs for daughter's new desire for plants to make tisanes and tinctures to help with her health and Covid depression.   Actually got her hands dirty splitting them and potting up which is a first since she was about 3 so to be encouraged.

BarriedaleNick:
I can't gloat much to be honest.
It isn't that easy here although the season is quite long so there is time to rectify mistakes.
Firstly it was a cold winter and cold nights into May meant a lot of damaged plants or very slow growth.
Windy here too so plants really need to be hardened off properly - poly tunnel needed!
I also got 8 tons of manure which was too hot - I should have known better but I used it hot and it killed and stunted loads of young plants..
Ground is very hard and clay like - it's ok when wet but dries rock hard and cakes over, hence the manure!
Also in a month or so it will be up in the late 30s C or even as high as 42C - so I need to learn to cope with that..
But I have picked beans and sugar snaps, lots of broccoli and a few other bits so I am progressing..

Leeks here are 15 for €1 and they are decent sized - juts eating a few small ones from last years planting..

Obelixx:
We have a polytunnel here Barriedalenick with a door either end and a shade net for when it' shot.  It's a boon and keeps my citrus pots safe in winter and tomatoes free of blight in summer.   

For the heat, you need to learn to start early, pace yourself and then retreat when to shade when it gets really hot.  Water in the evening and use seep hoses and mulches where possible.

Tee Gee:

--- Quote ---pace yourself and then retreat when to shade when it gets really hot
--- End quote ---

Or in other words"Do not be an Englishman out in the Midday sun" :glasses9:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version