Produce > Edible Plants

planting weather

(1/3) > >>

ACE:
Planting every morning now, we seem to have a rain pattern happening this week. Sunny mornings and rain starting about tea time. saves a lot of messing about with the watering can. So far climbing beans, curly kale, sprouts, cauli and celeriac. Dwarf beans going in this morning.  I hope it is the same again next week so I can start planting the courgettes and squash.   The poly is nice and warm and the tomatoes are starting to flower, they are nearly self watering as I shake the condensation off every morning before it evaporates. I'll open the vents next week to keep it dryer otherwise the blight will find perfect conditions.

saddad:
Certainly is ACE.... and makes our heavy clay workable... allows new plantings to get their roots out, rather than lurking in the planting hole cell of compost.

gray1720:
Yes, I'm delighted - normally May is dry and I have a pig of a job getting decent germination from my swedes and parsnips. Sowed both under fleece last weekend, they should stay nice and damp and hopefully go like stink.

tricia:
Just the opposite here Ace! This month has been awful  - very early sunshine followed by heavy showers all day and skies clearing again early evening. Climbing beans (ravaged by slugs but still growing), and some squashes and courgettes are in but tomatoes and sweet corn really need to get planted out too. That's all I grow in my four raised beds these days and more tomatoes in my mini greenhouse.
I still manage to grow my own seedlings but can no longer plant them out myself. A friend does that as and when he can, so at the moment the weather isn't helping!

Tricia  :wave:

Beersmith:
Tomorrow morning, I'll be off to my plot to see what effect an inch depth of hail stones has had on my tomatoes, runners, and fruit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version