General > The Shed

Gardeners World

<< < (4/4)

gray1720:
That was one of the great things about Geoff Hamilton - although he had whopping great gardens at Barnsdale 1 & 2, they were divided up into plots relatable to in terms of a suburban garden, and he did a lot of the leg work himself, or was involved, he was far more than a consultant.

One of his early efforts was a section in GW (I think, I don't think it was a seperate programme) where he ran a garden on  budget of £5 a week, for the benefit of impecunious new gardeners. I don't know what the equivalent sum would be now (I have a nasty feeling I am about to spend considerably more tomorrow!), but I can't imagine it getting made somehow. He was also very fond of making gardens from found stuff - when I can see her again I must nick Mum's GH books, as that's pretty much what I am doing now!   

Obelixx:
You can buy a pack containing the 3 DVDs for Cottage Gardens, Ornamental Kitchen Garden and Paradise Garden and it includes a few extracts from his GW series.  I play it quite a lot in winter while I'm indoors, sewing - not sowing.  It's endlessly inspiring, comforting and informative and there's even a bit of Adam in one of them when he was just a young learner gardener.

The accompanying books still read well too.

Beersmith:
Gardening programs on the television? What a wonderful modern world we live in.

Years ago I used to read "Amateur Gardening" if I remember the name correctly. I got it third hand after the original purchaser had read it and passed it onto my father in law. Always seemed interesting even though many topics came round again and again. Happy days.

woodypecks:
I love Beechgrove Garden best of all , I love how they weave children into it in one of the presenter's own home garden . The children are excellent presenters too ! And sometimes they go into school gardens. Gardeners of the future ! I think the Beechgrove team are just so nice . I am also a devotee of Bob Flowerdew and wish he would make a come back on t.v. I love his enthusiasm  !

Deb P:

--- Quote from: gray1720 on April 29, 2021, 22:36:52 ---That was one of the great things about Geoff Hamilton - although he had whopping great gardens at Barnsdale 1 & 2, they were divided up into plots relatable to in terms of a suburban garden, and he did a lot of the leg work himself, or was involved, he was far more than a consultant.

One of his early efforts was a section in GW (I think, I don't think it was a seperate programme) where he ran a garden on  budget of £5 a week, for the benefit of impecunious new gardeners. I don't know what the equivalent sum would be now (I have a nasty feeling I am about to spend considerably more tomorrow!), but I can't imagine it getting made somehow. He was also very fond of making gardens from found stuff - when I can see her again I must nick Mum's GH books, as that's pretty much what I am doing now!   

--- End quote ---

I have a copy of Geoff’s ‘£2 garden’ book which I rate as one of my all time favourite and useful books, particularly for seed saving and money saving ideas on how to make your own cold frames and cliches, I used a lot of his ideas when staring out on my allotment.
Bob Flowerdew’s Organic garden was a fantastic source for how to grow tricky crops, utilising green manures and concentrating on growing what you like to eat rather than trying a lot of fancy stuff you never grow again, and Caroline Foley’s ‘How to plant your allotment’ really showed how successional sowing and cloching can keep every space fully occupied and productive all year.
I do have (ahem!)quite a few allotment books but these three get consulted the most when I need a bit of inspiration!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version