Allotment Stuff > The Basics

One line questions / One line answers

<< < (9/12) > >>

Obelixx:
As I understand it they sleep a lot but when they get the urge to breed they set off in search of mates and that means tunnelling and molehills and then, having mated, they set off back to their own territories or pastures new and then when the babies are weaned and need their own space they all set off making new tunnels and molehills.

Self perpetuating hazards for human and animal feet/paws/hooves if they step on a tunnel or hidden hole just below the surface and the soil gives way.!

Beersmith:
Helpful. Thank you.

I'd assumed they lived in colonies.  Not so it appears. I'm not fond of mine - he / she has never offered to help with the rent, and sometimes causes a bit of damage although to be fair never seems to eat much. Having been around for a good few seasons I have grudgingly accepted that squatters rights apply.

JanG:
I think I get just as much damage in winter as in summer but haven’t closely monitored whether they’re less active when it’s very cold. Presumably they would meet some resistance if the ground is very frozen.

Obelixx:
They just burrow deeper when it's cold, away from the frosty surface, like the worms they eat.

Digeroo:
I would say my soil is too dry for celeriac I have tried a couple of times.  But my former plot neighbours always did very well and gave me a couple.  I have never worked out how they did it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version