Author Topic: Shed lighting  (Read 3541 times)

martinrowe

• Not So New ...
Shed lighting
« on: February 20, 2021, 19:33:02 »
I have two outbuildings at the top of the garden which I use as sheds.  The Windows are North facing and a bit dark inside.

Can anyone recommend lighting that might be suitable than does not require mains power, as the outbuildings are too far from the property.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Shed lighting
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 20:43:26 »
We have a solar powered light fitting with a movement sensor that comes on after dark when we need it and illuminates our main gardening, dog walking and shopping entrance to the house.  I'm sure you could find one of those on the internet.  As long as you can face the wee solar panel full south and change the angle to allow for low winter sun and high summer sun  a couple of those should help light up your sheds when you're in there.   
Obxx - Vendée France

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2021, 14:35:04 »
What about a sun pipe? 

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2021, 22:25:18 »
Can you line them with eg hardboard and paint it ehite? That would make them feel lighter.
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 10:33:59 »
Hi Ya, I have installed a 12volt caravan light. A lot of people use them when they modify their transit vans etc. I have a solar panel outside to catch the suns power wired to a regulator, from there wired to a 12volt care battery, I got free when it was being thrown out, to a normal house socket from there a wire runs from the socket  to a 12inch caravan light. It's quite bright and a bonus in my shed. From the socket I can run a caravan water pump and transfer water around butts or water plants as required. I am please with it. There is plot holder on our site has 2 car batteries and a solar panel and used the same lights when he saw mine, he has 4 lights wired in and he also runs a 12 volt strimmer from it as well. I can supply the name  of the if your interested, I was quite surprised how bright the light is. Good luck

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 14:46:03 »
Can you line them with eg hardboard and paint it white? That would make them feel lighter

Love the appropriate technology approach; so taking that a step further, lining the 'sun pipe' with oven foil would be more reflective, and sticking foil on like wallpaper is probably easier than painting. Also, I've noticed that most oven-ready scampi come in bags that are very shiny aluminised plastic on the inside, so they are probably less likely to lose their shine (I've been using them to bag up plastic bags in the PT - to keep UV off the handy bags - they give 100% protection for about 18 months in full sun before they go dull). I've seen similar bags used for 'premium' dried fruit and nuts - but that's the limit of my bag knowledge... Apart from the same stuff that's used for toy helium balloons of course.

Cheers.

PS. I've always put off installing a solar panel on my shed because it could easily get nicked the next day. Using a sun pipe (or two) to channel light to a panel inside the shed might be the answer (so would installing a skylight - but that's a lot more work, and my roof faces north anyway).
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

martinrowe

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2021, 19:15:26 »
The outdoors are in a lot of shade from neighbours trees.  I was considering using a leisure battery and some 12v lights.

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2021, 12:47:18 »
We have a couple of rechargeable lights. Each about a foot long that sit on magnetic strips. they are not too bad. Have similar for the cupboard under the stairs.  :blob7:
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal