Produce > Pests & Diseases

Broadies under attack from rats

<< < (2/4) > >>

Digeroo:
Ill order some peanut butter. 
Difficult to dispose of poisoned rats.   
I covered some with fine mesh and they have survive since yesterday but others had disappear now.  Have loads under bottles and I do not dare taking them off until I have got rid of the rats. 
And I already know they will go under the mesh because I lost a lot of rye which I had sown as green manure, and actually saw the rats crawling about under the  netting.

ancellsfarmer:

--- Quote from: Digeroo on November 16, 2020, 15:53:31 --- 
Difficult to dispose of poisoned rats.   

--- End quote ---
If poisoned then:
Either dig a hole minimum 12" deep in an unused area (lift turf, bury, re-turf) or place in black sack in the wheelie bin.Preferably double bag and tie outer bag with string.Trapped corpses can be buried under compost at a depth foxes will not go to. 2ft. To co-exist with rat infestation risks Weils disease .Google this if in any doubt.

Digeroo:
Know about Weils disease. I used to work for a company who cleaned drains.  But thanks for reminding me.
I only accepted photocopies of their time sheets!!
HMRC told me I should have the originals and I refused.
Now I will not feel so bad poisoning them.
I think the problem is people bringing their food waste and putting it in compost bins.  There is a reason it is illegal.
I am not sure the council will be  best pleased if they do in the wheelie bin.  We are not allowed any food in the bins.  If they smell anything they will not take the bin.

ancellsfarmer:
Could be an interesting case with a refused (sic) wheelie. One of the few statutory reasons for a local authority to exist is for the regular and lawful removal of household 'soil'.

Digeroo:
Maybe they can go in the food waste bin.  I might ring them up and ask them what to do with a dead poisoned rat?  I think I would be better to bury it.  Maybe leave it out for a red kite.  One fewer of those would be a huge bonus.   
We have a kestral again so I want to make sure it stays.  Though I have not seen a vole for a while.  Perhaps they decamp if there are rats about.   It has been several years since the last kestral sat hunting on the bean poles.   It used to be such a thrill to watch them. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version