Author Topic: Broadies under attack from rats  (Read 610 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Broadies under attack from rats
« on: November 15, 2020, 14:45:41 »
Yesterday I had a bonnie row of Wizard beans.  Today nearly half have been annihilated.  The beans have gone and the plant topped.  I though now they were six inches high they were safe.
Took the bottles off eight aquadulce yesterday to reuse the bottle, they were just showing a nice green shoot.  Today eight holes.
I am gutted.  Not sure how to stop them.  If I leave the bottles on too long, the plants will go leggy. 
I presume the wretched beastie will be back for more later.

Allotments 4 All

Broadies under attack from rats
« on: November 15, 2020, 14:45:41 »

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Broadies under attack from rats
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 15:12:35 »
Some people recommend dunking peas and broad beans in paraffin before sowing as the smell puts off the rodents.   Never tried it myself but did have one sowing of peas completely eaten by mice years ago so I gave up and stuck with frozen peas.

Haven't sown my broad beans yet as I'm waiting for OH to clear a bed so i can clear the dahlias to a new home and put beans in a bed I can more easily water with a seep hose.   Might have to sow them in toilet tubes at this rate and then hope the cats keep the nasties away altho th ebeans will need protecting against our recently adopted hens.
Obxx - Vendée France

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2020, 16:10:47 »
Unless you know it is rats, which need removal, then it may be voles. (which need removal!) Set Little nipper rat traps, the last thing they do is nip.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2020, 19:03:02 »
I am pretty sure it is rats.  I have not had problems with voles in the past.  So I poured water on my compost bin and out popped a rat!!   I had not seen one for a couple of weeks but seems they are still around. 
I saw six one day.  Eating sweet corn.   But it will be back. 
Most people lost all their sweetcorn.  I managed about half of mine using plastic bottles to protect the cobs.  They have learned to get inside them now. 
It is very depressing they are eating things faster than I can plant them.
I will try the paraffin.   Though I am not sure I want to eat something which was covered in paraffin. 

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2020, 19:59:39 »
The paraffin protects the seed but I don't think it penetrates and certainly won't affect the flavour of the beans in your pods, assuming you get a harvest.

An alternative would be to bait rodent traps with peanut butter which they can't resist but you'll have corpses to dispose of.
Obxx - Vendée France

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2020, 15:53:31 »
Ill order some peanut butter. 
Difficult to dispose of poisoned rats.   
I covered some with fine mesh and they have survive since yesterday but others had disappear now.  Have loads under bottles and I do not dare taking them off until I have got rid of the rats. 
And I already know they will go under the mesh because I lost a lot of rye which I had sown as green manure, and actually saw the rats crawling about under the  netting.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2020, 21:20:12 »

Difficult to dispose of poisoned rats.   

If poisoned then:
Either dig a hole minimum 12" deep in an unused area (lift turf, bury, re-turf) or place in black sack in the wheelie bin.Preferably double bag and tie outer bag with string.Trapped corpses can be buried under compost at a depth foxes will not go to. 2ft. To co-exist with rat infestation risks Weils disease .Google this if in any doubt.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2020, 12:17:23 »
Know about Weils disease. I used to work for a company who cleaned drains.  But thanks for reminding me.
I only accepted photocopies of their time sheets!!
HMRC told me I should have the originals and I refused.
Now I will not feel so bad poisoning them.
I think the problem is people bringing their food waste and putting it in compost bins.  There is a reason it is illegal.
I am not sure the council will be  best pleased if they do in the wheelie bin.  We are not allowed any food in the bins.  If they smell anything they will not take the bin.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2020, 14:28:25 »
Could be an interesting case with a refused (sic) wheelie. One of the few statutory reasons for a local authority to exist is for the regular and lawful removal of household 'soil'.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2020, 21:21:33 »
Maybe they can go in the food waste bin.  I might ring them up and ask them what to do with a dead poisoned rat?  I think I would be better to bury it.  Maybe leave it out for a red kite.  One fewer of those would be a huge bonus.   
We have a kestral again so I want to make sure it stays.  Though I have not seen a vole for a while.  Perhaps they decamp if there are rats about.   It has been several years since the last kestral sat hunting on the bean poles.   It used to be such a thrill to watch them. 

JanG

• Half Acre
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2020, 23:20:09 »
I haven't noticed a decrease in small rodents when I've had numbers of rats around as well. ☹️☹️

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: Today at 11:51:24 »
Things are getting worse!!
The wretched beast have now discovered how to dig below the plastic bottles and eat the beans.  So they are getting up ended.
The rows of directly sown green manure beans have simply been eaten too.  There are regular hole where they have dug.
The poison stations have arrived from Ebay and the poison bought from Screwfix.  I really do not like doing this but otherwise I will not be able to grow much at all if they are just going to eat the seeds.  And I do not want Weils disease.  I know someone who got it and he was ill for quite a while.
I have also learned that Bay Leaves can kill them or deter them so some of those will be off the the plot today.  I have a large plant in my front garden.   
And the next lot of beans are soaking in Paraffin.  I got it from the Chemist, but it is actually rather thicker than I was expecting.