General > News

Vermeer's girl with the Pearl earring

<< < (4/5) > >>

Tee Gee:

--- Quote ---The weirdest thing I've found was a .303 bullet case that turned out to have been manufactured in the 1960s with a wooden head for machine gun practice -

The other plot is only a plots-length away, nothing of the sort, yet I turn up prehistoric flints there, but never on the other plot. Make sense of that.
--- End quote ---

Perhaps prehistoric man was dabbling in bullets to replace weapons made with flints? :violent1: :icon_scratch:

gray1720:
Quite a lot of the old Western Front is prime sugar beet growing country. Think about that for a minute - you are using machinery to harvest something that comes out of the soil in big hard lumps... what else is it going to pick up with them?

Do excuse me, I'm just going to put on my pantalon marron!

Tee Gee - hadn't thought of that, Oxford could re-write the history of archaeology on its own doorstep!

Deb P:

--- Quote from: saddad on May 20, 2020, 14:29:05 ---Thankfully we don't have the same problem with un-exploded Ordnance that the former Western Front has!

--- End quote ---

I have dug up a few ? lead type bullets on my plot over the years David! Nothing that exploded though!

pumkinlover:
Living in Sheffield in the 60' and 70's frequent findings of unexploded bombs would close areas of the city. Usually the eastern side where the steel industry once was.

saddad:
The allotment site was allegedly used by the Normanton Barracks before the fields were bought and turned into allotments. Deb.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version