Author Topic: sea kale  (Read 1524 times)

ACE

• Hectare
sea kale
« on: March 06, 2020, 10:24:17 »
I have just been reading about this plant. I do have a sea kale forcer somewhere I can drag out, it was just a prop in a seaside show garden we built once. I can also go foraging along the dunes and see if there are any seedlings later, it will split but I don't want to dig up a mature plant. It is supposed to be like asparagus when it is forced and used like ordinary kale with young leaves. Does anybody grow this stuff for a few tips.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: sea kale
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2020, 17:37:53 »
Tried this in our Belgian veggie plot years ago.  It didn't like the wet tho and didn't do well despite being in a raised bed in a veggie plot that was itself raised from the ground level of the back of the house and held up by a metre high sleeper wall.

I think it likes good fertile soil but with better drainage.
Obxx - Vendée France

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2020, 20:40:21 »
I have a plant purchased and planted about a month ago so it will be some time before forcing begins. It's supposed to have a cabbage type flavour. I wonder if the cabbage whites like it. :happy7:

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 16:47:10 »
It's not a brassica, so it won't be at the top of their hit list...

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2020, 08:00:06 »
It is a brassica.  Just a more distant relative to our normal brassicas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crambe_maritima

:wave:

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2020, 09:34:39 »
Thanks for the correction Galina... scrub my earlier comment... the whites go for anything even remotely cabbage like...

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2020, 17:46:13 »
One of the TV bush tucker guys - probably Ray Mears - went out foraging with a guy who insisted that roasted sea kale roots were used as a massive source of carbs for our ancestors.

Apparently the roots were huge but easily dug out and they tasted good straight from the embers.

I don't expect anyone to act on this - they take decades to grow big enough and they are protected in the wild (quite rightly).

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal