Author Topic: Marigolds and broad beans  (Read 1633 times)

gray1720

• Hectare
Marigolds and broad beans
« on: March 17, 2020, 21:03:09 »
So... much confusion out there in Google land. The Missus is busy sowing her seed in the kitchen (she's kinky like that), and queried which marigolds exactly (Calendula or Tagetes) should be sown as companion plants to broad beans to keep the dread fly off? It seems that the wrong ones will stunt the beans and, of course,  we never make a note of which one we sowed last year...

Ta!

Adrian
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

Paulh

• Hectare
Re: Marigolds and broad beans
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 21:46:26 »
This may or may not help: https://growing-guides.co.uk/marigold-companion-planting/

In my experience, nipping out the tips of the broad beans just as the black fly move in really works. You can steam the tips too (with possible added protein!).

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 21:50:57 »
Summer savory is said to deter blackfly from broad beans.   French marigolds  - calendula patula - are good for keeping white fly off tomatoes.  Pot marigolds - calendula officinalis - are good for attracting pollinators.   No idea about tagetes.
Obxx - Vendée France

Vetivert

• Half Acre
  • Sussex
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 07:11:26 »
Don't have any experience with planting marigolds and broad beans together personally, but regarding blackfly I can attest to coriander and dill (and possibly other Apiaceae) acting as a nursery to hordes of ladybird and hoverfly larvae that established hunting grounds on my infested broad beans last year. I planted them a while later than the broad beans - I'm sure if I got them in earlier the predators would have been more effective in controlling the blackfly population. Anyway, best of luck!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2020, 08:58:18 »
We grow Summer Savoury in our bean beds, which seems to work, and is a very under-rated seasoning for bean dishes as a bonus. I thought Tagetes were more valued for root secretions against pests in the soil. I grow them between the tomatoes. Pot marigolds and the other marigolds are great for attracting beneficial insects. We use tall African Marigolds in our brassica beds which seem to keep down the white fly.. until it gets too cold for them.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal