General > News

Is it a bit wet up there

<< < (2/2)

cudsey:
heavy rain all day yesterday here in Barnsley but luckily no flooding except for the fields and rivers are very high feel, so sorry for the people that been flooded

ACE:
On the news it looks devastating, but why the reporters have to stand in it I don't know.  I don't care what the naysayers say, this is climate change and all the people moaning at the councils saying they should have give them sandbags etc should look at themselves for helping this to happen. 40 years ago I was on the sandbagging team as heavy rain and high tides could cause problems. The people would sit in their houses watching us struggle not many would come out and help protect their properties and then moan that we were too little, too late. We had extreme winds last week, the north gets 'biblical' rain this week, we have heavy rain coming again today. I am glad I live on the site of where the town windmill was sited high up on the hill.

They say it is not officially winter yet until the 1st Dec but we even had a frost here last night, very early for this part of the country. The next year will be a long hot and wet summer. I reckon when my grandchildren take on an allotment it will be paddy fields and a melon patch.

gray1720:

--- Quote from: ACE on November 08, 2019, 09:33:21 ---Looking at the newsreel pictures it would  seem quite a few of you have filled your water butts.

--- End quote ---

My butt has been full for some time, thank you!

Today it's the soft South's turn. We're as high as you are likely to get in the upper Thames valley (after 2007 we checked the flood maps before we looked at houses!), but it's pretty d**n soggy here. I am wondering whether it's going to be a winter where the allotment floods. But you take that riskj taking one on on a water meadow.

Adrian

small:
Our ditches have overflowed, the lawn is under water still. We had an automated red alert phone call from the environment agency on Friday night, that makes you consider your priorities somewhat! Fortunately the Derwent flood bank in our stretch was not breached, but you wonder what this winter will bring.

saddad:
My youngest lives East of Sheffield, and couldn't get out of the village for flooding at the end of last week, but it has calmed down a bit. Parts of Derby were flooded and although house and lotties are on a hill half the plots have standing water on the downhill side. Had a meeting in the Trent valley cancelled on Monday as all the approach roads to the venue had been covered by rising water levels.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version