General > News

Hello!

<< < (2/5) > >>

Beersmith:
Are you growing any spuds?

They are very susceptible to Aminopyralid damage too. One possible check therefore is if you applied any manure to your spuds they should be showing problems too. If you did and the spuds are healthy it may be another issue.

Beersmith:
Only just spotted this comment.

my toms are 5ft high and only now showing signs of problems

When did you apply the manure?  If it was applied when the plants were small and Aminopyralid was present I doubt they would have grown to 5 inches!

Penny@Plot 33:
Hi Beersmith

My tomatoes were planted into the greenhouse at about 12" - and only in the last few weeks shown signs of AP damage. I've got lots of photos, it is 100% AP.  I am surprised they got so high, it's something that is worrying - the delay between planting out and signs of contamination.

My potatoes were all planted out into a bed made using FM I bought in bulk last year from Wickes, I can't recall if it was Westland or Erin, but they are fine and I have a super crop. However, I know that other people have had issues with Westland FM in bags, so it's very random which makes sourcing a big concern - there is no way people can  bioassay every bag of compost they buy.

Tee Gee:

--- Quote ---I may well have unknowingly added contaminated plant material into my own bins,
--- End quote ---

I read somewhere that turning the compost a few times over a period of time gets rid of the weedkiller.

I don't know how? perhaps it disappears when exposed to the air!

Penny@Plot 33:
From what I have read , it is contact with organisms in the earth that break down the pyralid, which is why Dow's advice is to rotovate regularly over a period of about 6 months to a year. It does not break down in the composting process (someone recently had an issue from a heap she has not touched for many years). As I am 'no-dig', it's nigh-on impossible to follow their advice.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version