Author Topic: Murky Pond Water  (Read 3513 times)

Anthony

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Murky Pond Water
« on: April 04, 2005, 13:43:32 »
Hi,

I'm Just after a bit of help if possible.  I've just undergone a slight transformation with my pond in that I've now removed all my marginals from the baskets and replanted them along with a couple of new ones directly into some aquatic soil that I have placed on the two shelves I have in the pond.  This is all held in place by by a number of small football sized river cobbles which I bought from B&Q plus some hesian sacking.

I re-raised the level of the pond so that it is now at the level of the plants but when I did so it turned the water quite murky.  Normally I would expect this but it's now over a week since I made the change and the water still remains quite cloudy.  I'm wondering if anything else could be effecting the water or maybe if there is anything else I could do to speed up the process of water becoming clear.

I've also heard someone mention a product called montmorilionite clay and said that I should try that but I'm slightly reluctant to use anything that has not been used by anyone I know first.

Thanks for the help

Tony

Anthony

• Half Acre
Re: Murky Pond Water
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005, 09:15:40 »
Sounds like a classic slapstick comedy moment :)  I'm pleased to say that the pond is coming clearer now although it's still taking its time.  I can just make out my brighter colored fish at the moment but I suspect it'll be another few days before I can make out the darker ones.  I've taken the plunge with the clay and will post my results.

thanks

Tony

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2005, 16:08:03 »
Tony.You knew i would catch up with you!! One word.

WHY ? I just have a feeling that the cobbles will not stay in place once the fish get prying.Unless that is you have got the sacking tied up right around the plants.I just wondered why you took the plants out of the pots thats all !!
Margaret

Anthony

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2005, 19:29:21 »
I've already lost one cobble to the bottom which I'm yet to retreive but to be fair it was precariously balanced.  I can't imagine the fish being able to move them in future as they are quite heavy and after a couple of alterations they are pretty firmly in place now.  You don't think the plant roots will push them in do you??  Please no!!!!

The reason I removed them from the pots was because they didn't seem do that well last year and looked like their growth was being restricted by being in the pots.  They also looked quite unsightly as well as my ledges are only about 6 inches below the water level (poor planning) and without the pond being at it's maximum level some of the baskets were actually above the water line.

It also seems much more practical now for any wildlife that finds it's way in there (I've had 1 frog and 1 newt so far) When I've finished my snagging (circa 2008) i'll post a photo :)

rosegarden

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005, 21:01:41 »
Hi have you tryed cleaning your filter
Rose

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005, 12:20:18 »
Anthony 2 weeks ago we cleared our pond ad cut everything back as you could hardy see any water , the pond looked like mud soup , after cleaning the the filter a few times, it is cleared lovely now , so i am sure your pond will clear soon  :) :)

Anthony

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2005, 11:11:24 »
Thanks Dibber,

It did in about May ::)

Tony

sid

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2005, 19:54:38 »
did u wash the stone first i got sume stone from b&Q and i had the same prob so i took the stone out and the warter cleard right up i washed the stone in hot warter put them back and it was fine

Anthony

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2005, 12:42:50 »
I didn't sid no but I'm pleased to say everything is Ok now.

Thanks  for the advice anyway

Tony

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal