Author Topic: New Pond depth - help required  (Read 2082 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
New Pond depth - help required
« on: January 02, 2006, 10:53:45 »
I am currently in the process of building a small pond in my garden. Due to the space available I can only make it about 1m x 1.5m.

What I would like to know is what would be the best depth for a pond this size? The books vary in recomended measurement but the general concensus seems to be around 18 inches (45cms). For a pond the size of mine it seems very deep, though i appreciate the need for depth to give winter protection to plants and wildlife. What should i do?

Thanks

WASSISNAME

• Quarter Acre
  • I water garden. The wife does the earth bit
Re: New Pond depth - help required
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 11:11:33 »
I would say that 18 inchs will be absolute minimum if you intend keeping fish. that should prevent the frost and ice harming the fish
The Wife does the gardening I just admire it

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 11:15:48 »
Oh sorry i should have mentioned earlier. This will be a purely wildlife pond. No fish.

Thanks anyway.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 11:35:30 »
I once went to a lecture on wildlife ponds.  Chappy said there should be point at the centre where the depth was at least 60cms/2' deep.  It's to do with freezing in winter and the fact that below a certain depth the temperature stays constant and wildlife can safely huddle and hibernate there till the spring.

We also have a wildlife pond with no fish but they have arrived as eggs on the feet of visiting birds - along with duckweed and leeches.............
Obxx - Vendée France

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 16:45:17 »
Might I also suggest that one edge should have a 5 3/4 inch deep shelf for cooling beer cans in summer.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 17:14:46 »
Obelix: 2 foot seems awfully deep for a small pond, so are you sure about that? Now i dont mind digging normally but here we are talking of digging out (and getting rid of) solid chalk!

Its just typical that where I want my pond the soil is very shallow ::) ::) ::)!

undercarriage plan

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2006, 20:54:06 »
I've built several ponds and I always make them at least 2ft deep, including tiny ones...I was taught that and stick with it, so far so good, apart from the rampaging frog problem..

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2006, 22:00:21 »
Yes I agree. 2 foot is the minimum recommended depth to make sure the bottom of the pond never freezes. The whole pond doesn't have to be that depth but a certain amount must be. Good luck with the project. We had to pickaxe out horizontal "shelves" of sandstone. Thought the house might topple over  ;) but it didn't!

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2006, 12:02:02 »
Hmm, Guess I'll have to get digging then. Many thanks for the advice.

I just hope i have enough liner........?!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal