Author Topic: Semi Ripe Cuttings of Shrubs  (Read 1275 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Semi Ripe Cuttings of Shrubs
« on: August 15, 2017, 15:05:01 »
Just taken a load of semi ripe/heel cuttings from the likes of hebe, euonymusand lavender. First time for ages i have taken any cuttings.

I struck them into pots of seed compost and watered them in well afterwards. they are now inside a closed and shaded coldframe as i was unsure how bst to care for them until rooting occurs. In the past i have used plastic bags and unheated 'dome' propagator trays placed in the greenhouse but this hasnt always proved sucessfull as the greenhouse can get very hot and there is little spare space amoungst the summer crops!

I was wondering what methoud those of you who regularly take such cuttings find most successful. Ideally i would like to keep them in the coldframe but if there is something else i could do that would be better then i would like to find out about it.

Looking forward to replies.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Semi Ripe Cuttings of Shrubs
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 15:51:45 »
I have been very unsuccessful with lavender cuttings.  I finally got some to root last year, but they then died out when I planted them out.

I am currently experimenting with willow water.  I used the bark to make a tea and then put the cuttings into it.

It will be interesting to see if this works.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal