Author Topic: Boris - Ghost Koi R.I.P.  (Read 2592 times)

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
Boris - Ghost Koi R.I.P.
« on: March 31, 2005, 13:56:25 »
Oooo  what a shock I got this morning to discover Boris, the ghost Koi has died.  He was enormous, measured him before disposing of his body.  15" x 5" wide.  I wonder what finished him off.  I have had him about 8 yrs and he was boss in my pond.  There was no marks of disease on him either.  My fish have only just started to become active because the temperature has been low and I don't start feeding them until it is constant 10C.  Its sad to think he has come through the winter, just to die when it is warming up a bit.  The rest of my fish, Orfe seem lively enough so hope everything is healthy in my pond.

??? ???

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
Re: Boris - Ghost Koi R.I.P.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 21:35:11 »
 :( Check your pH levels Koi can't survive pH crashes or swings an ideal pH for Koi is 7.5 they can be happy within 6.8-8.2 - as long as the pH stays consistent!

I lost several large Koi under similar circumstances but a little more complexed situation.

So sorry you lost him after such a long time. :'(

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 18:55:52 »
aaawww.  Funny fishes these Koi.  My folks and my grandad kept koi for years and years and years with no special treatment at all and in the end my grandads were huge!  However, mum and dad lost the best of theirs one night, mid summer, very very humid and a thunderstorm erupted.  Next morning, over half of them were floating!  (waste not want not, the lot went on the compost heap!!)

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 19:45:58 »
Well Emma, how did I guess the fish would go on the compost heap!!! My Hubby wanted to put it on a plate for the visiting Heron and it did lie beside the pond best part of the morning, but Mr Heron didnt take it, so he must just like 'live' ones.  He missed good old Boris last year when he practically emptied the pond.  I am not saying how we disposed of Boris but not onto the compost heap.   ;D ;D

Thanks for the advice Roy.  Will check the ph levels in due course.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal