Author Topic: Toad spawn found on grass  (Read 2740 times)

Felicia

Toad spawn found on grass
« on: April 03, 2005, 16:21:42 »
Hello!
I'm looking for some advice, just been into the garden (we have no pond) and found a string of toad spawn laying between the house wall and the edge of the grass.
Over Easter weekend we had a pair of mating toads in our garden, which was confusing as there is not a pond that nearby, and then they seemed to vanish.
What shall i do with them?
We have a friend with a pond but they keep fish, would the fish eat the spawn if i were to give it to her?
If not, any suggestions?
 ???

quinny

• Quarter Acre
    • http://sitebuilder.wanadoo.co.uk/servlets/creat_frame?mode=modifsite&site=allaboutquinn
Re: Toad spawn found on grass
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2005, 16:50:27 »
I wish I found toad spawn like that, it's fairly illusive where I stay.  I pray every March for a wee bit but no luck to date...  The fish are likely to eat the spawn so I wouldn't risk that.  Any neighbours have ponds?  Local reservoir, canal or lake etc?  You could pop it in there... What size are the fish?  maybe you could hatch the stuff in a bucket or rainwater and then let the tadpoles fight for survival? 

Strange that they should lay it where they did, is it a place that collects water when it rains maybe.  I believe that if they hatch then they return to there place of birth to hatch again and again etc...  Maybe this pairhave no sense of direction...  Like myself with a map, useless...

All the best...

Felicia

Re: Toad spawn found on grass
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2005, 17:31:23 »
 ;)

Hi Quinnie,
thanks for the response, i'll probably take them to a local canal and find a suitable shallow-ish area for them.
Hopefully their offspring will have a better sense of direction! As for the map reading you are not alone :)

Thanks again, Felicia

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal