Author Topic: If you had.....two big containers....which fruit would you grow in them  (Read 1937 times)

Hector

• Hectare
I got two secondhand containers...so can move in greenhouse if frost etc. Id estimate eCh holds at least 60 litres....probably more.

What edible would you plant that also looks nice :) i was wondering re a patio cherry or apricot...or apple...or?

Experience of good varieties welcome.
Jackie

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
I'd go for a fig and an apricot :)

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
blueberry and id try the new mulberry
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
Figs are perfect for containers. They look decorative too. For the other why not a citrus tree but it needs to be frost free for winter. Or an olive tree perhaps. :happy7:

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
I have dwarf peach and nectarine in similar pots. The peach is crimson bonfire, but I forget the variety of the nectarine. They both go into the greenhouse in the winter and stay there until late spring to avoid rain bringing on leaf curl. This is only their second year but I am already very pleased with how they have performed. The blossom is beautiful pink and very early on the nectarine. Mine are still small but each has over a dozen fruit looking promising at the moment. As I keep bees, I don't need to hand pollinate. First day a single flower opened on the nectarine there was a bee found it in the greenhouse. There probably wasn't much else about for them.

strawberry1

• Hectare
blueberries, no faff, mine have been in containers for 6 years and produce lots of fruit year on year. I don`t break my back moving them either

AnnieD

• Half Acre
  • Royston, North Herts, very chalky
Figs are perfect for containers. They look decorative too. For the other why not a citrus tree but it needs to be frost free for winter. Or an olive tree perhaps. :happy7:

Tesco have Fig and Olive at the moment for £4 each!
Located in Royston, North Herts.

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
If you do decide on cherry, apricot, apple etc it is worth considering the rootstock for each kind of fruit. Here is the advice from Keepers Fruit Nursery.

Apple
Pots and planters. Contrary to what may seem logical, medium vigour rootstocks such as M26 or MM106 do better in pots than more dwarfing rootstocks. Restriction of the roots by the pot will keep the tree small. It is also best to start with one year maiden trees.

Pear
Pots and planters. Both dwarfing Quince C and semi-dwarfing Quince A rootstocks can be used. Restriction of the roots by the pot will keep the tree small. It is also best to start with one year maiden trees.

Plum/Gage/Damson/Cherry plum/Bullace
Pots and planters. Both VVA-1 and WA-VIT rootstocks would be suitable. Restriction of the roots by the pot will keep the tree small. It is also best to start with one year maiden trees.

Cherry
Pots and planters. Semi-dwarfing Gisela 5 rootstocks. Restriction of the roots by the pot will keep the tree small. It is also best to start with one year maiden trees.

Peach/Nectarine/Apricot
Pots and planters. Semi-dwarfing WA-VIT rootstocks can be used. Restriction of the roots by the pot will keep the tree small. It is also best to start with one year maiden trees.

The final choice is yours but remember to feed them occasionally. :happy7:

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
I fancy a fig.  Never liked them but then I tasted one straight from a tree and realised what I was missing.  But not sure they need to come inside. 
Also suggest wheels under pots.  Kiel and around often have them.  Saves the back then moving them.

Hector

• Hectare
Crikey, spolit for choice.

I love figs but have never tasted a fresh one...wonder if supermarket has them to try...will find out.

I have three small Blueberries :)

Love Nectarines, Peaches and Apricots.

Going to sit and have a think....many thanks all. I do appreciate this
Jackie

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
I have a lovely red , red rose and a blackcurrant in a large tub and they look beautiful together . They were originally just stuck in there as cuttings and I forgot about them . I get plenty of blackcurrants from this bush .  :coffee2: Debbie
Trespassers will be composted !

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal