Author Topic: Wilting courgettes and squash plants  (Read 1430 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Wilting courgettes and squash plants
« on: May 14, 2017, 08:00:51 »
So I left some chitted plants on the windowsill they need potting but I cannot at the moment.  Came back to find them wilting and droopy.  I was a bit gutted.

Did not hold out much hope.

Watered them and this morning they are looking very bonny.  Nature never ceases to amaze.  I do not appear to have lost even one. 

Paulines7

• Hectare
Re: Wilting courgettes and squash plants
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 08:28:27 »
I planted two of mine in a raised bed yesterday as they were getting quite big.  I had started them off in the greenhouse and I know from experience that when they reach a certain size, they are better off outside than in such a hot place.  I think this sprinkling of rain will settle them in so, hopefully, they won't wilt.  I have more babies in the greenhouse but they only have two leaves at the moment as I was late planting them.  If I lose the outside ones through frost, at least I will have some more to fall back on. 

It's surprising how wilting plants recover when given some water.  Last month, after returning from a holiday, I thought I had lost my pansies which are in pots outside the summerhouse. They looked almost dead but after a couple of days being given some water, they all sprang back into life again.

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 21:34:57 »
Potatoes are pretty tough - after all, the volunteers come up ok!

I planted mine (all second earlies) out at the end of March and, as it was nice weather when they came through, did not put fleece on them. Cue a frost (and we have not had many this winter). The tops were browned but they will grow back, so I put fleece over (stable door horse after bolted locked). A couple of weeks later, I am going on holiday, the weather looks mild and damp, so I take off the fleece, water them well, and earth them up. I returned this weekend, everything looks dry despite some rain, and the potatoes have been frosted again, but are already bouncing back.

So don't give up on them.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 04:56:23 »
I have just got b ack from holiday.  So when the rain has a break in about an hour I will nip over to lottie  and see what is what.  Managed to get my courgettes and squashes home.  So today will pot them on. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal