Author Topic: Figs and raspberry canes  (Read 1910 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Figs and raspberry canes
« on: September 17, 2016, 11:46:07 »
Had a few figs on the tree this year, not many and the birds had a couple.  It has got loads of small figs on it, do I take them off as think it is too late for them to ripen.  I have had different advice on this.
Also I know this may send silly but my raspberry canes have spread everywhere and they weren't that good this year. I have cut them back but loads of grass and weeds between the canes, can I use weed killer, don't mind if I lose a few of the canes but if they survive dont want to poison myself, but also dont fancy all that weeding.  I have only used weed killer on the paths, but nothing seems to have grown very well this year as I haven't done enough weeding, or maybe it was lack of rain.
My conference pears are still hard, when do I know when to pick them, or do I wait for the birds to have a few pecks.
Thanks in advance.

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
Re: Figs and raspberry canes
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 13:19:49 »
Hi Borlotti.

Figs, I had a fig tree and use to take off the figs that were bigger than my small finger nail.  The rest will probably drop off anyway.

Pears, I had one of those as well and found out that it was best to take them off hard and let them ripen indoors on a window sill.

Raspberries, well I think you have found out why everyone is so willing to give the canes away.  I had them for two tears and then decided to dig them out.  That took two years of getting close to my long handled fork.  I still had them outside my garden fence where they produced the best berries and the local kids loved them.  Rather than weed killer how about a wood chip mulch?  As deep as you like.

Best of luck

Bill

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
Re: Figs and raspberry canes
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 19:25:43 »
We all do our gardening different so I am not being critical just putting my way forward. I never remove any figs if there are  too many or the wrong time of year the plant will shed what it cannot carry. I would not pick conference pear yet but would do as suggested in  a couple of weeks or so. Never would I use weed killer of any sort amongst my raspberry canes. Any surplus cane can be forked out carefully as you prune which in turn should remove most of the weed.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal