General > Top Tips

A design to be tested - polytunnel with roof vent.

<< < (2/2)

Vinlander:
The polycrub is an interesting design - using the "grain" of the twinwall polycarbonate in line with the hoops of the tunnel means you can do without expensive glazing bars because the stressed skin has its own rigidity. That's a big saving.

The other benefit of using stressed twinwall PC is that it could take a roof vent - it would be strong enough to cope with having an open rectangle in the roof - but since Shetland is 9o further north I doubt they get any real problem with summer heat!

It's actually very similar to my home-made 1/4 ellipse peach covers that use otherwise fragile acrylic sheet to make the flowers and young fruit visible in the spring (when it's so nice to see them). Unfortunately clear acrylic is sooo expensive and will eventually disintegrate anyway - I wish 1mm clear polycarbonate was easier to source - this design would negate its marked lack of rigidity.

I always wanted a proper "pentagonal" greenhouse but one made from 2 x PC ellipses with a V section at the roofline for the vent (the "gothic" shape) might look even better and be much cheaper to make.

The picture I attached does not mean I endorse this product (whatever it is) - I'm only trying so show how a home-made polycarbonate greenhouse could look much better (and could have much better ventilation than the one shown).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version