Author Topic: Help! New Allotment owner with problem rabbits!  (Read 1860 times)

wallflower

Help! New Allotment owner with problem rabbits!
« on: March 28, 2005, 15:18:40 »
Hi, sorry if this is a repeated question, can anyone give me advice, I have just taken on an allotment but there is a problem with rabbits. I do not want to plant veggies just for the rabbits to eat.  Will cloches be sufficient to keep them off- or if anyone knows where I can get corrugated iron sheets in the Kent area that might encase the allotment I will be grateful for your help
Thanks
Wallflower

Derek

• Acre
Re: Help! New Allotment owner with problem rabbits!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 17:26:24 »
Fortunately we don't have rabbits...to many foxes on site... for a small consideration we could send you some  ;)

Another site in the County resorted to having a rabbit proof fence errected..they obtained grants for this project.

Having errected the fence they had to irradicate the rabbits living within the compound...that was fun.

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 20:29:43 »
Hi Wallflower, I used the search function, copied and pasted an old posting for you below. I hope this helps. Up to this day, no rabbit ever got in. Rabbits will tunnel under anything you put down unless you make it impossible.

Re: Rabbit netting
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2004, 13:28:06 »     

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Clare. Before you dig a 2 foot thrench and break your back, plantsman already mentioned it, just scrape the top layer of soil off on the outside of the fence and place a 20-30 cm folded out section of the fencing flat on the ground and put the soil back on top.

Our lottie complex is overtaken by rabbits and this system works. We got chicken wire 1 meter wide, 80cm is above ground and 20cm is laying flat just under the soil. The first couple of days after building the fencing we found 11 places where rabbits had been trying to tunnel under the fencing but hit more fencing instead. In one place, the fence was all dented in, I think one rabbit got crazy from frustration and threw him/herself agains the fencing hahaha.

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 14:45:05 »
Hi, this has been here before. Our site has load of the bunnies and as a result everyone has rabbit fencing around their plot.

Here's where it was discussed earlier :

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/yabbse/index.php/topic,6522.0.html

Jeremy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal