Produce > Kept Animals

What do you do with chickens that have finished laying..

<< < (2/4) > >>

BarriedaleNick:
They are on the pellets and I have added grit to the feeder and in a separate tray..  Just wondering if there is much more to be done on the food front.. 
I don't think I can mod the hen house like you suggest esp as they have taken to laying in the roost.
I think someone needs to teach my chickens how to chicken properly!

playground:

--- Quote from: Malcolm Brown on June 06, 2016, 17:32:28 ---You probably won't like this but I will tell you.  When I first started City and Guilds Agriculture courses in 1981 very early in the course we were each given a chicken and a broom and told to kill the chicken.  It wasn't too much of a problem for me because when I was a lad in the late 40s and 50s my Grandad had a few hundred chickens for eggs and meat, my Dad kept meat rabbits and there were a number of neighbours with pigs in their back gardens or allotments.  It was a bit of a culture shock for some students though.

--- End quote ---

Just out of curiosity.... how do you kill a chicken with a broom ?
Hit it on the head ?

BarriedaleNick:
You put the chickens head under the broom handle and press down with your feet on the handle while lifting the chickens legs - breaks the neck (or the head comes off!)

In the end I dispatched mine using CO2 which seemed pretty humane.

pumkinlover:
We now put egg shells in the oven to bake when it is in use then grind up in pestle and mortar and add to the feed, seems to have helped the soft shell issues since.
What is the CO2 method, PM if feel the need.
I worry about the fashion for keeping chickens ( as well as other animals) but with chickens how many people   would not want to dispatch an ill bird and not have access to someone who would do it quickly without suffering. I have watched OH but not actually done it so am in the same situation. Know at some time I must.

playground:
I guess 'How to kill a (chicken/duck/goose/rabbit/guinea pig.... or capybara)'
must be a part of some farming/animal husbandry course(s) somewhere...

I just did a search of youtube for  "How to kill a chicken humanely"
Lots of results came up. 
I haven't watched any of the videos ... I would cringe...

I thought this website was interesting...
http://www.appropedia.org/Micro-livestock:_Little-known_Small_Animals_with_a_Promising_Economic_Future_7

Maybe ginea pigs might be a useful animal to farm for meat.
I'm tempted by the idea of capybara, they grow to be the size of sheep (and taste good)
but they're social and friendly, ... and hence might be impossible to kill.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version