Author Topic: How do you grow your leeks?  (Read 14073 times)

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: How do you grow your leeks?
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2016, 21:08:43 »
Sorry rewind ...Epsom Salts ... how do I do this please ?   :coffee2:
you can either sprinkle some around the leeks and gently hoe it in or water it in make make sure its well mixed i leave mine to stand over night then give it a stir before i water a generous handful per watering can as a general guide hope this helps
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

bombus

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2016, 07:33:18 »
I thought Epsom Salts are a source of Magnesium, why will this be helping leaf development? I thought that was done by using Nitrogen.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2016, 08:32:49 »
Mine are never pencil thickness when I plant them out.  Seem to do ok.  I usually have 6-8 in a module and also like johhnyco15  swish them in water to separate.  Or even a good scattering in a large 500ml yogurt pot.

Epsom Salts?  Perhaps they have got indigestion. :tongue3:  Personally I need the Epsom salts after I eat them.  Ghastly things leeks.

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2016, 20:28:09 »
Hi Caroline, becuase leeks have such brilliant buds and flowers I now grow mine in the flower bed. If you dont eat them they look amazing!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2016, 12:21:28 »
I thought Epsom Salts are a source of Magnesium, why will this be helping leaf development? I thought that was done by using Nitrogen.
this is how it helps Chemically, Epsom salts is hydrated magnesium sulfate (about 10 percent magnesium and 13 percent sulfur). Magnesium is critical for seed germination and the production of chlorophyll, fruit, and nuts. Magnesium helps strengthen cell walls and improves plants' uptake of nitrogen, phosphorus, and sulfur. hope this explains  the benifits
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2016, 19:59:19 »
Nobody seems to have said it so :
Plant in a 4" pot, scattered seeds lightly firmed on the surface. water from the bottom. When 3-4" tall, seperate and plant out in a bed or deep tray, rows 4" apart, seedlings 1" apart. Water and FEED steadily.
When ready to plant out (when early spuds are clear) ,in  rows  as blocks of 4, 9" apart each way into deep hole, roots trimmed and holes flooded. If possible orientate so that you can plant parallel to your path to prevent walking on ground in (wet) winter.
Water if necessary and FEED!
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2016, 20:58:20 »
I am jealous. I used to grow the most fantastic leeks year on year, then we moved to an area which gets leek moth. I have tried every which way and I gave up leeks last year  :BangHead:

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2016, 21:54:44 »
I had leek moth for the first time last year. Am intending to plant them under fine net - has anyone tried this and does it work please? Am really hoping this isn't now a major problem as leeks are one of my best overwinter crops

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2016, 22:08:12 »
Growing under Veggie-mesh has stopped the leek moths/ leaf miners for two years in a row on my plot where the leeks were ravaged before.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2016, 22:44:18 »
I plant out my slips of 'grass' and after few days of watering I just let them get on with it, always get plenty to supply us for the year. If the leek moth makes an appearance I get out the shears and cut the tops off then leave them to grow again. I don't grow giants, but three leeks are enough for a meal for two.

I've seen planting in holes, clipping roots, giving the tops a light clip and all sorts of feeding regimes. If they are just for eating and not showing, leave them alone. As for spacing, just leave enough room for hoeing.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2016, 00:17:49 »
I plant out my slips of 'grass' and after few days of watering I just let them get on with it, always get plenty to supply us for the year. If the leek moth makes an appearance I get out the shears and cut the tops off then leave them to grow again. I don't grow giants, but three leeks are enough for a meal for two.

I've seen planting in holes, clipping roots, giving the tops a light clip and all sorts of feeding regimes. If they are just for eating and not showing, leave them alone. As for spacing, just leave enough room for hoeing.

Wot he said......,.😎
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2016, 09:45:16 »
Well, nice to have provoked an interesting thread! I planted out the ones from the individual pots yesterday ( earlier than usual but they looked ready and I had space) and  the soil just fell off the roots so they were easy to drop into the holes. I'll let you know if there's much difference in the final results between the crowded ones and these.

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2016, 10:25:27 »
Mine are grown in much the same way as ancellsfarmer, sown second half of january in pots, planted out in a nursery bed early march and fed. (They are covered with a piece of held up clear polythene initially to aid establishment.

They will be planted out this week sometime about nine inches apart.

We don't have leek moth on our site but ACE what a great idea cutting off the tops to get rid of the pest. No problem as that is the bit many people discard anyway and the leek will grow fresh top growth.

I wonder if it would work with leek rust too. :happy7:

Gordonmull

• Acre
  • Grangemouth. On clay, becoming clay loam...slowly
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2016, 00:08:28 »
This is my first year that I've had mine looking so good and healthy. In previous years i used Musselbrough and Monstreux de Charentan. (spelling is probably off). This year Bleu de Solais.

The first year I used modules and got tiny little things for planting out. The next two years I sowed into Morrisons flower buckets and got a bit better. This year I sowed three rows in containers meant for windowsills and thinned to 1 plant per inch. Planted out in mid april at almost pencil size.

Given my high latitude compared to most on here I'm pretty happy with getting that size. Also, every other year I've had to hold some plants back because I'd get about 25% transplant failure. This year I lost one plant.

The lesson I'm taking away is previous overcrowding in infancy and possibly just a cultivar better suited to my conditions.

bombus

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2016, 08:12:46 »
On my Allotment site everyone seems to get Rust on their Leeks every year, it also wiped two rows of Sweet Williams out one year.  :BangHead:

Why is it the leeks grown by farmers don't show any signs of Rust? is there some sort of spray that they are able to use?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal