Author Topic: How do you grow your leeks?  (Read 14084 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
How do you grow your leeks?
« on: June 05, 2016, 15:31:39 »
Every year I'm not sure what to do with my leeks, although I have had reasonable crops most years (not so good last year but I blame the weather. this year I started them off in seed trays then pricked out half of them into small plant pots, one to each plant. those that are really overcrowded in the seed tray seem to be a lot healthier than those I pricked out- standing up straight and putting on a bit of thickness, whereas the individual pots are leaning over and very weedy.Obviously the state of the roots may be another matter, but what do you do?

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: How do you grow your leeks?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 21:04:01 »
well myself i would put the ones in the seed tray when you come to plant them out in a bowl of water give them a swish around and they will come apart easy with no damage to the roots or stems then just puddle them in make a hole with a dibber around 6" deep pop the leek in do the row then fill the hole with water once established give them a drop of Epsom salts or sulphate of ammonia and you should have no problems with them           hope this helps please let me know how you get on :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

brownthumb2

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 21:07:06 »
How far apart do you plant them please

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 21:22:06 »
How far apart do you plant them please
6" apart and 2ft between rows seems to work for for me hope this helps

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 21:51:51 »
Thanks- that's my usual planting method= didn't know about the Epsom salts, though- what's the effect of those?

rollingrock

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 23:01:40 »
I would not leave 2 feet between rows. leave same space between each row as I leave between each plant

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2016, 23:07:19 »
I still have a great deal of trouble getting them to the right kind of size needed to survive planting out in time.  Maybe I should just start them off earlier, but I know that if I can get them to a pencil thickness then they transplant really well, but normally at planting out time after following the instructions, they're normally about half that thickness and struggle to emerge from the top of the dibbed holes.

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2016, 23:28:51 »
For several years I tried various methods - sowing in large pots, small pots, cells - and couldn't get any plants the size of a pencil that you are supposed to have when you plant them out. They were more biro refills, but if you dib and water them in, they still produced (small) leeks.

A comment here or on the allotment led me last year to plant out the seedlings that I start indoors in a "nursery row", in late March / early April. They grow away and about now are at the fabled pencil size. I'll dig them up carefully and plant out in the usual way in the next two weeks.

Last year I got more decent size leeks. I don't grow them large as they seem tougher and stronger tasting which the cook dislikes. So we got more of a crop than before.

As to spacing, I set them at 9" - 12" each way.

Leeks are definitely one of the most worthwhile things I grow, so persevere!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2016, 23:56:12 »
I grow mine initially in a deep pot, then prick out into long rootrainers until thick enough to plant out. I grow mine in rows of five, about 30 in an 8x4 raised bed, then pick the second and fourth ones early to use and leave the others to grow on, they last us all winter.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2016, 00:00:27 »
My way

Seeds are large enough to sow individually into cell trays.

Once the root appears from the base of the cell, transplant them into 3" pot.

Now that they have lots of growing space I am in no hurry to plant them out, I just leave them in the cold frame until such times conditions are right for planting out.

When I plant out my plant spacings are 8"-9" apart in rows 15" apart.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2016, 00:12:07 »
Thanks for the advice!  However, I am attempting to grow about 100 leeks for our family's needs over the winter and early spring period - do I REALLY need a 3" pot for each one in order to get decent leeks at planting out time?  My greenhouse would be given over entirely to leek production if that was the case.  There's got to be an easier way.  I'm currently building up a Babington's Leek patch which I think may be the ultimate answer, but it's going to take a while to get enough plants.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2016, 09:58:02 »
Do I really need 3 pots?

No you could leave them in the cells until planting out time.

I use these to start with

I have cut down the overall size of this tray down so that it fits in 2 standard seed trays.

Or you could consider these and forget the 3" pots:

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2016, 10:17:50 »
Thanks TG - that looks like a good solution - I think my "bung all the seeds in a big pot" approach is starving them of resources so they don't grow quickly enough.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2016, 16:23:12 »
How do I grow leeks?  Badly!

What is really annoying is that my oppo on the plot grows the most fantastic leeks.  He was been collecting seed from his biggest and best leeks for years and they out-perform anything I can get from a packet.  He throws a handful of seeds in some compost in the border of his greenhouse and then plants them out when he thinks they are ready and mostly it works really well. I end up sowing them in a seed tray then repotting them into another seed tray and then planting them out but they never get big and they get attacked by leek moth!!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2016, 16:49:51 »
The answer is in your question!

He was been collecting seed from his biggest and best leeks for years and they out-perform anything I can get from a packet.

For example if I am saving seeds of an onion or leek I always let the best example I have grown run on to set seed.

In other words I never eat it!

It's similar when I exhibited Chrysants and Dahlias I would mark the plant/ plants that produced the best flowers and only save these stools to produce next years stock.

If you have ever had a word with a champion grower at a show and you are in awe of the exhibit he/she has produced they will often say ....."I have left a bigger or better one at home"This is the plant that will be the source of next years stock.

So what you want to do is ask this neighbouring plot holder for some of his seed.

If he does give you some this does not mean you will be up there with him next year but I am sure you will have grown better than you have done in the past with your commercial seeds from a packet.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2016, 18:20:06 »
Thanks- that's my usual planting method= didn't know about the Epsom salts, though- what's the effect of those?
this greens up leafy growth  basically a leaf tonic and as leeks are a roll of leaves it works great

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2016, 18:22:10 »
I am on a promise Tee Gee - he said he would give me some seedlings to plant out so we will see if he is as good as his word
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2016, 22:31:39 »
Sorry rewind ...Epsom Salts ... how do I do this please ?   :coffee2:
Trespassers will be composted !

Lady of the Land

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2016, 22:40:47 »
I always sow direct in the ground, about 1/2 - 1cm apart, this year 400 seeds between 13th and 16th April in 4 rows- keep them watered. Then when they are pencil sized or even slightly smaller towards the end of June or begining of July use a trowel to dig up and plant individually in holes made by dibber 6-8" deep. I put in bottom of hole Fish blood and bone or can use growmore, put in leek and fill hole with water. Plant 5-6" apart, I always keep soil wet until really established and then water well about 3x a week in sunny! South East unless it really pours down with rain. My leeks always grow really well although have in last 2 years started to have a problem with Leek miner- but as do all the people on my site that I have spoken to. The reason I grow so many is I plant out for myself about 100 leeks and give/sell the others for our Allotment Association funds.

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2016, 19:20:29 »
I sow mine into a balcony planter, where they stay till they get planted out. I water with comfrey tea every couple of weeks or so to keep them going and they are now at pencil thickness mostly. They will go in when my early spuds are lifted, dibbed into holes with some BFB and then properly enviromeshed to keep off miners. Mine are 15 cm apart each way in a 120cm wide raised bed.

But there are only 50 leeks, so the faff is worth it.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal