Author Topic: What is the worst tasting vegetable you have ever grown?  (Read 9268 times)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
Asparagus Peas 😱😭 YUK YUK YUK!!!...........pretty flowers though
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 07:42:27 by Duke Ellington »
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

markfield rover

• Hectare
Re: What is the worst tasting vegetable you have ever grown?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 08:43:38 »
There is just something about broad beans........

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 09:08:59 »
Onions, leeks, cabbages.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 09:34:09 »
Parsley peas........though to be fair I probably left them too long on the plant and they were truly yuk.

Rats tail radish were not very hot and just very chewy.

Artichokes as mentioned in an earlier post, taste revolting to me but clearly others love them!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 09:35:22 »
Totally agree with you on asparagus peas they are vile.

I think I also have a lifelong dislike of turnips after roasting some my first year, tasted like sewage. Never again! X sunloving

penedesenca

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 10:06:57 »
Agree with asparagus pea.
Pot leeks are not great either.
I can see the appeal of kohl Rabi and oca but they are not for me.

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 10:35:46 »
Okra. Don't much see the point in it. :happy7:

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 10:46:27 »
Once had Chicken gumbo in the US.  It was delicious but I have never managed to replicate it with okra in the uk.   

And I forgot asparagus. 

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 10:50:18 »
I didn't exactly hate asparagus peas, but I'm never planning to grow them again.

Radishes don't taste good to me either, but I don't think I've grown anything else I didn't like.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2016, 11:14:42 »
I think like a  lot of people when they first get an allotment, I got enthused and tried to grow lots of unusual or rare stuff. Most of which  you only grow the once because you realise there is a reason it is rarely grown!! I love the idea of growing heritage seeds, particularly tomatoes, but find there are drawbacks to some of them, either in terms of disease vulnerability, yield or most importantly taste, so I try all once, but keep my list of favourites relatively small. I still try lots of new things, but they have to compete against that list to be grown again......
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2016, 11:47:30 »
I grew asparagus peas and as others have said, they are not very tasty and are a complete waste of space, time and money.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2016, 13:13:40 »
I do like oca though, that was a successful experiment for me.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2016, 13:26:47 »
Cucumber!!

If you were to put ten vegies on a plate and I ate them the only one that I would taste would be cucumber!

It so bad that if my wife makes a salad and cuts up the ingredients with the same knife I can tell which one was cut after the cucumber.

Add to that Cucumber are my achilles heel when it comes to growing vegetables!

I often think it is my dislike for the veg that causes me to fail when growing them.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2016, 14:25:06 »
I love most of the things everyone else hates - but I must admit I'm very lukewarm about asparagus pea.

What DOES qualify is nearly all the unusual stuff I've tried when the description didn't say edible AND delicious - that always means it's famine food.

Worst examples:

Apios americana roots (amerindian "groundnut") - supposed to taste like nuts but taste of nothing but slightly bitter old rope - very dry fibrous texture (very slightly better if you grow them on the very cusp of drowning). Not to mention the latex-like sap. On the other hand Lathyrus tuberosus roots really do taste like chestnuts (I'd still rather have a sweet chestnut tree but it would need its own allotment).

Orache - a total flavour vacuum - I've eaten better tasting newspaper - and paper has the advantage of not coming back as a weed.

Anything advertised as an asparagus substitute - it may come up around the same time as asparagus but 99% of them are unpleasant or at best no flavour at all. The only exceptions are hop shoots & salsify shoots- both taste nice but but still nothing like asparagus.  However salsify shoots are actually nicer than winter spinach & chard.

Cheers.

PS. I don't like boiled spuds - even new potatoes taste much better mashed with butter or REAL gravy - it's a hangover from 11 years suffering school dinners' grey lumpy mash with solid gravy made from flour and brown dye.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2016, 14:58:36 »
Asparagus pea for me too.  Pretty plants but not very productive and nasty, fibrous things to eat.

I loathe Brussels sprouts and have given up growing them for OH.  He now goes out and buys his own Xmas ration and has to cook them too.

We like kohl rabi but grated raw in salads.  No good cooked.    Love asparagus but can't grow it here.
Obxx - Vendée France

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2016, 20:00:36 »
I don't like any of the bitter salad veggies, chicory, arugula, radicchio and I am not fond of  the mustard greens either..radishes OK if right from the garden and very young, turnips on the whole no..but I keep trying on that one and am growing Hahure ,think that;s it's name this year.

I wish I could get to like the greens as they all grow well in the winter under glass.
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2016, 21:33:36 »
I am beginning to wonder if anybody actually eats asparagus peas more than once. They are foul. I would also add huckleberries to the list, but to be fair they may have been under ripe. Turnips are great up to about the size of a golf ball.  I think everything else is good in my book.

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2016, 01:16:38 »
Asparagus peas were pretty but tasted vile. I don't like chard either for the same reason. Am none too keen on broad beans, but OH loves them so I am trying to adjust.

I didn't use to like leaf chicory, but having had it Italian-fashion I'm a convert. Most other unusual stuff I've grown I've liked. Fortunately.

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2016, 20:28:20 »
Salsify: spindly roots and poor flavour

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2016, 20:35:10 »
Once grew a packet of mixed Japanese Greens. Shudder. Took a week of honey to remove the taste.
Sprouts, beetroot, asparagus are all incredibly bitter to me, but that is the tablets I have to take. Shame, because I like all three of them.
Oh and garlic, hate the taste, the smell , especially second hand. Why does the garlic eater always sit next to me at lectures?
Gardening is the great leveller.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal