Author Topic: Shortcut for grass-infested bed?  (Read 2589 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Shortcut for grass-infested bed?
« on: April 11, 2016, 16:32:09 »
I had hoped that things would get easier the longer I had my allotment, but unfortunately I just don't have enough time to get or keep on top of the weeds. I was wondering about covering a particularly weed-infested patch (mainly grass) with black plastic and planting my squash through the plastic. Would this work or would the grass roots compete too much and the ground get too dry?

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: Shortcut for grass-infested bed?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 18:22:41 »
The grass and the roots will die off quite quickly and planting through it shouldn't be an issue.  The soil will tend to sweat a bit at first and the nice damp dark conditions will attract slugs, fungus and the like under the plastic.  With time the soil will dry out which can be an issue.  You would be better off with some sort of permeable membrane that lets air and water through but plastic will do the job - just make sure it isn't leeching any chemicals into the soil
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 18:31:45 »
You can plant squash through plastic and a little distance away (to allow for growing room), 'plant' several upturned plastic bottles with their bottoms cut off.  The tops stick out and you can water and feed into the bottles.  The water will seep out around the root area of the squash.  :wave:

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 19:31:40 »
You can plant squash through plastic and a little distance away (to allow for growing room), 'plant' several upturned plastic bottles with their bottoms cut off.  The tops stick out and you can water and feed into the bottles.  The water will seep out around the root area of the squash.  :wave:

I always do this with my squash but hadn't thought about it working with the plastic. I've always put the bottles close to the main plant.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 20:05:23 »
Go the glysophate route, water on and replant in a short time.You could be back in production before June.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal