Author Topic: Varities and types of blackberry  (Read 2710 times)

chappy

• Half Acre
Varities and types of blackberry
« on: March 29, 2016, 13:23:58 »
Hi all,

This year I am looking to establish a couple of Blackberry plants on my lotty. I understand that most varieties fruit on the second years growth (Floricanes), but Thompson and Morgan have a variety they say will grow fruit on the first years growth (Primocanes).  I also understand there are thorned and thornless varities. I'd prefer thornless for obvious reasons :D.

There are some plants in Tesco for £3.99 which are a variety called Black Satin which are a thornless variety which grow fruit on the Floricanes.  Sounds a good deal and the plants as far as I can see look healthy.

But I'd be curious to know if anybody has any varities they would recommend?  As Blackberries are a longer term investment, I'd like to pick a favoured variety.

Also is it really worth the extra cost getting a 3 litre pot grown one vs a 9cm pot grown one? i.e. how much longer to establish and bear bruit from the smaller plant?

Finally (honest!) I have a row of raspberries that I inherited with the plot and was thinking of putting the blackberries in a row next to them so they are together and easier to net together.  How much space should I leave between them so they both get enough light?  The other option is to have them opposite ends of the plot so they border the plot as the raspberries border the top of my plot.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: Varities and types of blackberry
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 13:27:25 »
beware black satin is not totally thornless as it grows it gets tiny thorns on stem and it dont haf hurt lol
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 13:33:46 »
fantasy is a thorned blackberry its fantastic and i have Oregon thornless  its OK in my opinion not as good flavour and black satin its not bad flavour and i have another one but dont know the name again it has thorns and a great taste hope this helps
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 17:46:38 »
Any of the "oregon" group are good... I still like Sylvan but don't see it listed much. My Fantasia lives up to it's name.

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 18:06:08 »
Hi Chappy I am about to do the same thing, plan to plant 2 rows of raspberries very soon then a row with 2 gooseberries & blackberries all next to each other at the top end of my plot. I would be very interested to know the spacing between the raspberry row & the gooseberry/blackberry row as I can't find it by googling it. Jane

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 19:14:52 »
I wouldn't think you need to net blackberries and they need lots of space.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal