Author Topic: celery virgin  (Read 4363 times)

undercarriage plan

celery virgin
« on: March 25, 2005, 19:51:30 »
 ;D I've had my lottie for about 3 years, and thought that this year I'd try and grow something I'll eat! I'm trying celery! The little sweethearts have germinated beautifully, I've dug a "Manure" enriched trench to keep in moisture, but I've suddenly realized, I have no idea what pests celery attracts.  ??? Is it a pigeons picnic? A butterflies buffet? Or a rabbits risotto?! Advice obviously required, thank you and please exscuse name....

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: celery virgin
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 20:04:18 »
Do NOT let me put you off. Just prepare!!

http://everest.ento.vt.edu/~idlab/vegpests/veghosts/celery.pests.html

But - there's slugs too - the major threat?? Lost this years crop to them. So - this year I'm going back to self-blanching. How to protect against slugs?? I  hope that someone will come up with a solution.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 20:33:52 »
OK Put off! Not really. Why don't you have to protect self blanching against slugs? Or am I being really stupid. Probably best not to answer that.... ::)

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2005, 06:10:57 »
It's much easier to control slugs on the surface than deep down in a trench. I think!

And I made the mistake of wrapping my trench stuff in newspaper, which immediately melted, rather than 'stout'  paper.

One limitation of S/B has been that it is not frost-hardy. I'm hoping that the one we have this year will be.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2005, 12:53:51 »
some things in life remain a mystery,why are we here?what happened to Lord Lucan? why do people grow Moneymaker toms?-and how does one grow trenched celery avoiding slugs,rot and general nastiness :-[

Stephan

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2005, 13:18:52 »
I'm still hoping that someone will tell me!

The fact that all commercial 'dirty' celery is perfect, makes one wonder about chemicals??

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2005, 20:17:05 »
I'm growing self blanching celery for the first time this year. I was planning to cover them with fleece (like I have done my carrots) in the hope that I will avoid most of the pests. Time will tell...

Did you know that eating a raw stick of celery helps to relieve heartburn and indigestion.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2005, 20:34:59 »
It's also very slimming!!

undercarriage plan

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2005, 21:18:44 »
Think problem may be irrelevant, seeds seem to be succumbing to damping off fungus! :'(, Even worse, spent good Friday digging trench, filling with compost and then recovering!! How sad is that.. ::) Any advice gratefully received, either on damping off, or on what to plant in gorgeous trench now!! ???

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2005, 08:34:44 »
Leeks.

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2005, 09:12:59 »
Tim :      Good Morning     Happy Easter Sunday to You

You must have read my Mind :D

Just Fiished doing Mine for the Leeks
Sometimes its better to listen than to talk

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2005, 09:38:02 »
I knew that Ina does it!

undercarriage plan

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2005, 20:55:41 »
Thanks for advice, leeks like tlc then? Do you think gourds would apprciate this too? Have a pack  of mixed gourds to attempt and read that they were really hungry plants. Decisions, decisions. I'll actually be glad when everything is planted and I just have to tweek things occasionally!

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2005, 11:18:29 »
It's not so much tlc - it's blanching, as for the celery?

PS Can anyone sow one celery seed at a time? This is after taking at least 4 out of each cell. With tweezers!!

undercarriage plan

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2005, 18:49:24 »
I did mine in a seed tray  ??? Was I wrong? The intention being to prick the little dears out when they had their first true leaves.  I still have a few survivors. Decided to remove any seedlings that looked vaguely poorly, so far so good. Cool picture, I'm not that adept with technology! If I don't have to water it or pick it etc, I just get confused  ;D

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2005, 19:02:09 »
up - nothing is wrong - just different!

Cell culture just gives them less root disturbance - they go straight into the ground 'as is'. In fact, these cells are probably a bit on the big side!

Keep yours well spaced. You can prick out almost as soon as you wish. Some of the 'thinnings' from here went elsewhere.

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2005, 19:32:06 »
Tim, how old are your seedlings? Mine still look quite small, first sowing has only over the past couple of days developed their first true leaves, they germinated on 2 March. Second sowing looks about the size of yours in the photo, they germinated 2-3 days ago.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

undercarriage plan

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2005, 21:29:26 »
My seedlings seem to have been the same size for about a week! Sulking or something! Do they have to be much bigger than ones in photo on top on? Surely you'd need a really, really small pot!  :D I'm going to try and play them a bit of music, any suggestions?  :-\  Thought I might try a bit of Kate Melua?!

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2005, 07:14:39 »
Mine were sown (on heat) on 13 March - germinated on 24th.

Those are 45mm cells &, right or wrong, the plants will stay there until they get planted out.

I don't think that it's normal to pr**k out or pot on at that stage but, with great care, it works.

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2005, 10:44:31 »
think l did the same as Tim last year with my celery (wrapped it in newspaper) all that hard work of digging trench etc gone to waste not one stick of celery any good. As for chemicals Tim, farmers do use them we usually get to use them after a few years of the farmers using them.
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal