Author Topic: Banned Red Nose Day  (Read 1499 times)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Banned Red Nose Day
« on: March 24, 2005, 20:45:14 »
http://www.thisisbradford.co.uk/bradford__district/skipton/news/SKIP_NEWS2.html
A school in my 'old area' banned Red Nose Day. Many sad children. Should a school head take it on themselves to ban Red Nose Day without consulting parents?
Apparently the parent mentioned has had many anonimous and abusive letters for drawing the matter to light .
How sad.

BAGGY

• Hectare
Re: Banned Red Nose Day
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 08:09:12 »
How pathetic.  They could have been allowed to dress down for school day and got outside sponsors.  Especially since the tsunami disaster and the like I'm sure most kids could scrape up a few sponsors.  And you know what that say ....... every penny counts
Get with the beat Baggy

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 20:12:56 »
Am I over reacting by feeling that the comments of some people seem to be against the paper and the parent for bringing to light the facts?
I feel a little angry that even the local vicar has decided to comment in a biased way, (I thought the church didn't take sides.)
Was the newspaper wrong to report what was fact? The comments following the report don't even address the original question. "Why didn't we have a Red Nose Day?"
I feel pretty angry that some people can attack a parent voicing a concern. Me thinks I'm going to get literally involved in defence of what I feel to be right....or should I stick my head in the sand like so many others?
http://www.thisisbradford.co.uk/bradford__district/skipton/news/SKIP_LETT0.html

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2005, 00:07:42 »
Hi kenkew - with respect, yes, I fear you are over-reacting? 

The vicar only pointed out that Red Nose Day is not obligatory (another relevant fact?). 

As somebody who had to deal with hordes of fractious, over-excited and very silly kids that day, I have a lot of sympathy with a headteacher/staff/governing body/"parent-community" who make a choice for "giving" - without the media hoopla.   And it appears that the school do have a strong tradition of giving. 

Their choice of charity may well not be yours (and certainly not mine), but that is something that the entire "school community" have to try to sort out among themselves.  Sorry, but headline news in the local press is not necessarily the best first step?

All best wishes - Gavin

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2005, 09:46:10 »
I'm thinking that the headteacher made the wrong decision and if I lived there and felt as strongly as you obviously do, I wouldn't be sticking my head in the sand.
If this decision isn't challenged now, it will become the status quo for next year and the years after.
I AM agreeing with the statement that parents shouldn't be pressured to give to Comic Relief (or, by the same token, anything else) via the school, but Comic Relief is a nation-wide effort and to exclude the schoolchildren that want to do something to fund-raise is wrong, I think.
Which way would I go? Wouldn't slog it out openly in the press ~ initially :o. Would suggest a schedule of children's activities for next year - garden clear-up, car washing one weekend in the school playground, jumble sale, blah-di-blah and perhaps a one dress-down day? In my proposals to the Head, I'd stress the positive benefits of the fund-raising - child involvement with the community, team working, etc.etc. I'd refute her suggestion that anyone was being pressured to 'give' by pointing out that the activities are all along  bob-a-job lines...ie that peeps are paying for services. I'd also point out to Her Greatness that the resulting good publicity can only be of benefit to the school.

Nah, I'd go for it Ken.  But I wrote that I'd put it before Her Greatness and/or her Board of Governors initially? This because she's gonna dig her heels in come what may, at the mo. to defend her recent decision. But if you make sure that all your proposals for next year are in writing,  or meetings are followed up by written confirmation of what was said, you'll have a blinder of a file of correspondence to then take to the press at a later date. 8)

Militantly yours, Lish :)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2005, 16:12:23 »
Food for thought and thanks for the input. I think I may just answer the fact that the responses todate didn't deal with what the article was about. Some people have a knack of misdirection when the hackles are up, are the one going down the personal attack route, nasty people, nasty minds. I also question involvement of the local Parish Priest, who again, didn't address the question of the article. Makes me wonder if he got a little pressure from somewhere/one. Talk about the church not having a bias, Ha!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal